The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: AlbanVnyds Syrah Lorraine '00....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: AlbanVnyds Syrah Lorraine '00....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Tried this last night w/ my braised sausages:
1. AlbanVnyds Syrah Lorraine AlbanEstate/EdnaVlly (14.7%) ArroyoGrande/SLOCnty 2000: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; tons of sediment plateing the side of the btl; very strong toasty/charred/burnt/smokey/Fr.oak intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah some pungent/roasted bit reductive very primary/monolithic nose w/ little evolution or complexity; not particularly alcoholic or fumey; fairly tart/tangy/citric very intense blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/very ripe very strong charred/burnt/roasted/Fr.oak slight licorice/pungent huge fruit/primary/monolithic flavor w/ ample smooth/ripe tannins; very long/lingering very strong burnt/charred/toasty/Fr.oak very intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/ripe/licorice some tart/tangy/citric finish w/ some ripe/smooth tannins; a ton of intense Syrah fruit and burnt/charred oak but none of the evolution/complexity you'd find in a 17 yr old Qupe/EdmundsStJohn; big/powerful/extracted/monolithic Syrah that leaves you in awe.
1. Since AlbanSyrah was a recent topic of discussion, I thought I'd crack one to refresh my memory of John's wines. This was probably the last of the Alban wines I bought afore I was dropped from the mailing list. Have the Reva and the Grenache loaded & ready to go.
I drank this Syrah over about a two hr period as I prepared dinner and logged in wines. There was no substantial change in its character save the loss of the slight reductive character in the nose. I left the remaining hlf btl in the decanter on the counter overnight and retried it this morning w/ my breakfast Wheaties. A substantial part of the burnt/charred oak had left, the Syrah fruit had lessened a bit in intensity, but there was no display of evolution or complexity or drying out you'd expect in an 18 yr old wine left open overnight; it was still a pretty massive/monolithic Syrah.
This wine was pretty much what I expected from an Alban Syrah of 18 yrs of age. Huge monolithic fruit & oak but virtually no signs of evolution or complexity that you'd get in a middling Qupe or EdmundsStJohn. That's pretty much been my experience w/ his Syrahs over the yrs (did I mention that I followed JohnAlban from the very start?). It's a unique/singular style of Syrah...a style that I no longer find particularly appealing. When I taste them, I'm left in awe with the extract & power that John can coax from his grapes. Which is why this style appeals to Monktown attourneys while meanwhile he's exiled Bob & Steve to the Monktown woodshed. When you taste them young, you're struck by their intensity & power and just "know" that they'll last forever. And that's probably right....I can't recall an Alban Syrah that I thought was over the hill, save his first '93 which was pretty creaky at 10 yrs of age.
This Alban style is one that appeals to many folks. It reminds me of those body-building magazines I used to drool over when I was a teenager (which...I should point out...was not all that long ago); certain that if I had that kind of body, all the chicks would be lusting for me. It's sorta like who would you rather sit down and have a conversation over a nice glass of Riesling. DonaldTrump...which is all about power & winning & $$'s & being first in the World. Nope...not for me. I'd much rather share a Riesling w/ RichardFeynman or JackKilby or RuthBaderGinsburg.
End of (not anti-Alban) rant.
Tom