The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

with help pairing with food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

mark.lehman

Rank

Just got here

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am

with help pairing with food

by mark.lehman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi everyone, I am Mark Lehman from Manitowoc, wi. I am a chef by trade Graduated Culinary School in 92. I enjoy drinking wine but my knowledge is very limited. I am going to be teaching cooking classes that will be served with wine and need some help in pairing. My first class will be a 3 course which is a Mediterranean theme. Appitezer a creamy cheese bruchetta toast points. Entree will be Baked Salmon Tapenade with dessert being olive oil almond cake with berries. I tried a Robert Mondavi pinot noir red which i read about but was a little to sharp. Can anyone or someone help me with suggestions on what wine to pair with this meal? And may I consult in paring for future classes? I am not bad in pairing when I set down and try samples but this course will only consist of eight students and I don't have access to wine like I use to. Any help is much appreciated

Thank You

Mark Lehman
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: with help pairing with food

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Hello and welcome. We’re always happy to help.

It’s hard to get too specific because we do not know what wines you have access to. That being said, the tapenade element in your salmon dish cries out for Syrah. I would probably go for a crisp white with the appetizer. Do you have access to Chablis?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

mark.lehman

Rank

Just got here

by mark.lehman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Yes to the Chablis. We only had one wine for the meal. I will be purchasing from a wine distributor so I should have access.
The appitezer I will be using Italian romas for the bruschetta with mascarpone and fresh parmesean . The tapenade with the salmon we will be using greek and spanish olives with a white balsamic and Italian tomatoes. Our dessert is olive oil and and almond with a touch of peel of the lemon zest with berries. Not a bad idea to offer another wine but I woud keep it at 2.
Thank you

Mark
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Mark, we would all be happy to consult with you on future courses. You'll find that most wine lovers like the ones who hang out here are just as crazy about food as they are wine and very experienced at both cooking and fine dining.

I agree with Dave about the syrah element. All syrah or a syrah blend would work well. Yes, pinot's classic with salmon but it's the sauce/accoutrements more than the protein that determines a good pairing, and on the whole your meal is mediterranean. (Pinot noir isn't). A syrah would really speak to your dish. Since you're working with a distributor, you might ask him or her to recommend one from southern France, like the Languedoc-Roussillon region. Many excellent versions are imported to the U.S. and are in fact superb values compared to domestic versions. A white or in fact a rose from the same region would make an excellent accompaniament to your bruschetta and give the whole dinner a cohesive feel.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

mark.lehman

Rank

Just got here

by mark.lehman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Thank you david m. bueker and Jenise for the great information that you have kindly given me. I know a little about wines but no where as much as the people within the wine lovers page. I am looking forward in working and learning and appreciate your help. Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/events/4086351 ... 1579190656 to let you know a little bit about the organization that I am working with Grow It Forward. grow-it-forward.org

Thank you

Mark Lehman.