The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lunar New Year w/German & French wines (+ESJ)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Lunar New Year w/German & French wines (+ESJ)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Friday was sous vide tandoori-ish chicken thighs, arugula salad, & brown basmati

2014 Ziereisen Steingruble
Chasselas from Baden. Moderate acids, apple and white peach, a little dilute to me. B-/C+

2013 Ziereisen Schulen Spatburgunder
Tart, bright red fruit, herby. Interesting and fresh. B/B+

While Friday was quiet, we decided to have a couple of lunar new year dinner parties on Sat and Sunday. Saturday Cal brought sesame noodles, Betsy did the rest of the banquet- scallop/shrimp dumplings, bok choy/shitakes, whole sea bass with black bean sauce, and cumin lamb.

NV Andre Beaufort Grand Cru Rose Champagne

A touch sweeter than my ideal, cherries and raspberries, nice mousse. B

2016 Keller “Von Der Fels” Riesling Trocken

Nice vintage of this- bright acids, rocky minerality, pear and peach. Lively and food friendly. Good value at $24. B++

2004 Donnhoff Riesling QbA.
Moderately sweet, ripe mango and nectarine. Quite alive though a touch simple B/B-

1988 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
OK, I usually find this a fine vintage of Beau, but not this bottle. Not sure where I sourced- not in my CT listings, and no auction sticker. But I think this saw some warmth at some point, though fill and cork look good. Looks ok, only a little bricking, and nose isn’t bad, but palate is disappointing. It shows some VA and some horse on nose, but the fruit is weak and the finish clipped. C+for this bottle.

2001 Doisy-Vedrines (from half)
Apricot, orange marmalade,and vanilla. Nice balance of sweetness and acids. B+/A-

Sunday was shishitos stuffed with turkey and shiso, rice noodles in a shrimp/dashi broth with scallop and shrimp, char siu pork, rice, bok choy with mushrooms., the Mission Chinese red cabbage/beet slaw with a tahini/miso dressing, citrus salad, and a triple creme cheese/

2001 Remi Jobard “ Le Poruzot-Dessus” Meursault 1er Cru
Pear and hazelnut with a little citrus note, modest acids, no too long. B-

1997 Edmunds St. John “Parmalee Hill” Syrah
A winebid bottle. You know, I’ve drunk a lot of ESJ, but I think only one bottle of Parmalee, an ‘05. I should up that, this is a very nice wine. Some tannic structure still, full black fruits, coffee, smoke. This could be a good ringer in a Cornas tasting. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Lunar New Year w/German & French wines (+ESJ)

by Patchen Markell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:09 pm

88 was the first Beaucastel I ever had, at about 11 or 12 years after the vintage. We paid an exorbitant markup for it at a restaurant on our anniversary — and it was one of those early, unforgettable experiences: “I didn’t know wine could DO that!” (Might have been our first exposure to mild brett.) I later got 2 bottles of it on Winebid, both good but of course nothing could replicate the original revelation.

Sorry this bottle wasn’t up to the standard....
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 am

Dale,

Was the Parmalee from Steve's "fund my album" sale?

Curious as to the spices/marinade you did for the sous vide "tandoori" chicken. I am thinking of a similar thing for this weekend/next week.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am

Patchen, we all have those magical early bottles (for me the first was '82 Gloria about 1991)And they can never be replicated (the setting is of course also important). But as you know good bottles of '88 Beaucastel are pretty damn fine.

David, no this was a winebid bottle. The marinade was pretty standard- yogurt, cumin, cardamom, coriander. lemon, ginger, garlic. A little under 3 hours at 140, then grilled. If you have Anova it's in the app. Quite good. At 140 you still have a tinge of pink, which might turn off some people (its safe, at that length you've pasteurized) but you'd have pretty close to as moist if you did at 145/150.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks Dale. Yep, that’s the baseline marinade. I tend to add in both turmeric and Kashmiri chili for mine.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 am

I also threw in a little Penzey's vindaloo mix (think garam masala with a bit of heat)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm

That sounds more interesting.