The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Any way the Windsbuhl blows

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Any way the Windsbuhl blows

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:07 pm

1998 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl - France, Alsace (2/24/2018)
Twenty year old Gewurztraminer is not generally a promising prospect, but the 1998 ZH Gewurztraminers defy logic with their richness and depth of flavor. Tonight the Clos Windsbuhl is showing a full complement of lychee and pineapple, though the pineapple appears to have spent some time on the grill. No matter as it has concentrated the flavors, while adding a toasty, honeyed quality that supplements the wine's complexity. Only moderately sweet at this stage of its life, the wine accompanies food rather than (as in its youth) dominates a meal. It matched well with my Old Bay dusted scallops and roasted root veggies, and still drank well after the food was long gone.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: Any way the Windsbuhl blows

by Jon Leifer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Clos Windsbuhl is probably my favorite Pinot Gris..not a lot of experience with the GWTZ from Clos W.
Jon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Nice. I'm a big fan of the full-flavored succulent gewurztraminer when it also has mineral and acid cut, and all the better that it has aged well into something harmonious. But those qualities are hard to find, so I never end up pursuing it.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 am

David M. Bueker wrote:1998 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl - France, Alsace (2/24/2018)
Twenty year old Gewurztraminer is not generally a promising prospect, but the 1998 ZH Gewurztraminers defy logic with their richness and depth of flavor. Tonight the Clos Windsbuhl is showing a full complement of lychee and pineapple, though the pineapple appears to have spent some time on the grill. No matter as it has concentrated the flavors, while adding a toasty, honeyed quality that supplements the wine's complexity. Only moderately sweet at this stage of its life, the wine accompanies food rather than (as in its youth) dominates a meal. It matched well with my Old Bay dusted scallops and roasted root veggies, and still drank well after the food was long gone.

I had the ClosGaensbronnel '59 at 35 yrs of age and it was still amazingly good. Because of the high alcohol/low acidity/
often RS, the Z-H GWT's...you just never seem to know if they'll age or not. Looks like you lucked out on this, David.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:32 am

I actually had a great deal of confidence in it as a 1998. If you put a 1994 in front of me I would feel the same way.

1997, 1999 or 2000 would be a different story.

It's about vintage character.
Decisions are made by those who show up