The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Joseph Swan Zinfandel Mancini Ranch, Mt. Olivet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

WTN: 1999 Joseph Swan Zinfandel Mancini Ranch, Mt. Olivet

by James Dietz » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:44 pm

• 1999 Joseph Swan Zinfandel Mancini Ranch, Mt. Olivet - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/27/2007)

Amazingly expressive nose. It's been a long time since I have lingered like this over the nose of a wine. Some slight bricking, but almost not noticeable. Nice line of acidity running thru red/dark fruit...cherry and plum both come thru. We had this with homemade cauliflower soup and quesadillas, and the match was perfect. The wine provided a refreshing counternote to the slight spiciness of the meal. We finished the bottle with no problem, as this is one of those wines that goes down easily as it is so refreshing.

This is my first Swan wine. Purchased at the winery...thanx to the cellar rats for accomodating us one morning a couple of months back. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 1999 Joseph Swan Zinfandel Mancini Ranch, Mt. Olivet

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:24 am

Sounds like a worthy visit and a nice wine! Their Cab sounds intriguing, too.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Sounds good! I have a couple of bottles of the '99 Mancini Zin in my stash, but I haven't opened one. I was very impressed with the '98, a couple of years ago, though I thought I killed a baby.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:09 am

OK. I was bored today, so I decided to waste some gasoline and cruise up to Sonoma County. Nice cool, slightly overcast day. Took my pack along, and we got a little bit of hiking and city walking in (I like Petaluma a lot! what a cool, somewhat ramshackle, quirky town!)

I really like the wines here. They are still pouring these 99 Zins, which are much leaner than the fruit bombs that most people associate with the grape. I also really liked the 2003 Trenton Estate Pinot Noir-very earthy and acidic and complex and quite quite unique. The 2001 Syrah was also great- a real blast of interesting, complex flavors, including the lovely black pepper hit I love. I'm not a big Syrah fan, but I went for this one! Finally, based on their website's description, I bought the absolutely last bottle of their 2002 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. I'm anticipating cold climate herbaceoussness.

I don't know if its mostly the terroir of the vineyards, or the unique sensibility of the winemaker, but count me a fan, now!

The young guy pouring, an interen from Sonoma State University, talked about "Old World Style" and it was good stuff.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach