The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 8687 Chard SonomaCnty '15...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: 8687 Chard SonomaCnty '15...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:01 am

Tried this wine last night:
1. 8687 Chard SonomaCnty (14%; Est: 1986/1987; Bonded by Blood; www.8687wines.com) 8687 Family Wine Co/Napa 2015: Light gold color; some toasty/butterscotchy/oak light melony/Chard/slight floral rather simple Calif Chard nose; rather soft/fat slight bitey/tangy very light Chard/melony/lemony very light vanilla/oak bit rich/heavy-bodied near vapid flavor; short soft slight metallic/tangy very light vanilla/oak light melony/lemony/Chard finish; a pleasant/simple Chard leaning to the vapid side; pricey at $32.00 (SFW&S)
1. Saw this on the self and a new label for me, so thought I'd give it a try. This wnry is a sister/brother effort of Caroline (Born 1986) and Jeffrey (Born 1987) who were born & raised in the NapaVlly. They also have a CabFranc under the HunterGlenn label. From perusing their WebSite and FaceBook page, their last name has apparently left the building.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: 8687 Chard SonomaCnty '15...(short/boring)

by Patchen Markell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:13 am

They're the 3rd generation of Napa winemakers in the Shifflett family. 1st and 2nd generation sold grapes to Raymond, Elyse, Duckhorn, Freemark Abbey, and others; 2nd generation started Shifflett Estate winery.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Thanks...

by TomHill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 am

Patchen Markell wrote:They're the 3rd generation of Napa winemakers in the Shifflett family. 1st and 2nd generation sold grapes to Raymond, Elyse, Duckhorn, Freemark Abbey, and others; 2nd generation started Shifflett Estate winery.

Thanks for the background, Patchen.
It always puzzles me why, on some wineries WebSites, they don't identify the people
behind the wnry.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: 8687 Chard SonomaCnty '15...(short/boring)

by Patchen Markell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 am

Well, I can imagine why a couple of early 30-somethings might want to try to make a name for themselves without riding on parents' coattails. Or maybe they had marketing consultants tell them that it was a way to make their product feel accessible to the social media generation.

(Incidentally, I'd never heard of them, or the family, before you posted -- that was just the result of a quick search of the California Secretary of State's business website and then the Napa Valley Register.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 am

Patchen Markell wrote:Well, I can imagine why a couple of early 30-somethings might want to try to make a name for themselves without riding on parents' coattails. Or maybe they had marketing consultants tell them that it was a way to make their product feel accessible to the social media generation.

(Incidentally, I'd never heard of them, or the family, before you posted -- that was just the result of a quick search of the California Secretary of State's business website and then the Napa Valley Register.)

Well, Patchen...I would have to say the Shifflett coattails are pretty short ones to be riding. Never heard of
them before.
Tom