The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Oh dear.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Oh dear.....

by Jenise » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 pm

....NPR (America's National Public Radio) has a wine club.

Yeah, just like Martha Stewart, the Wall Street Journal and just about everyone else except the Girl Scouts. Heard the radio advert today.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Oh dear.....

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:42 am

Yep. The ad comes on while I am driving to work...every single day.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 am

And now, here's the host of "Have Another Glass," Ira Glass.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 am

Well, if you drill down into the NPR Wine Club pages until you find the specific wines, they look like real wines from real producers that nobody ever heard of. Probably stuff that sells for $10 or so? Here's an example page ...

https://www.nprwineclub.org/jsp/product ... rod3910100
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 pm

The only conclusion I can draw is that these clubs are immensely profitable to the operators. Because otherwise why would they be ubiquitous? But that doesn't gibe with the fact that almost no one seems to be making big bucks in the retail wine trade. I guess people sign up for the intital shipment and then never turn it off? Or are the customers 90% more likely to buy a BMW or a cruise than average? It's a mystery to me. The other question I would like to have answered is how many operators of these clubs there are. Because they all seem identical and ambiguous. I would make an exception for Robin's sponsor, they seem to have a legitimate focus.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:12 pm

wnissen wrote:The only conclusion I can draw is that these clubs are immensely profitable to the operators. . I guess people sign up for the intital shipment and then never turn it off?

Something like that. Or, they turn it off a year or even six months later but in the meantime some profits were made. I knew someone who got in the WSJ club and then I never heard another word about it, and the cardiologist up the street is enamored by Naked Wines of all things--but these aren't the wines he serves to guests so that says something, doesn't it? My experience is very limited but people don't seem to be too proud of their choices.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Jenise wrote:Or, they turn it off a year later in the meantime some profits were made.

That was my experience after joining one of those wine clubs. All of their selections were from CA wineries I'd never heard of, and they were all meh wines. I can find mediocre wines without the assistance of a club, thank you very much.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Meh is exactly right--every wine I had from one of those clubs. At best: passably boring, and usually worse.