The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some WA Big Guns

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Some WA Big Guns

by Jenise » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:10 pm

2012 Reynvaan 'The Contender'
Agree with TANNIC MONSTER's comment about the campfire, though didn't hate the result so much as wished for less of that and more fruit. Thought when first decanting, more balance would come about but even after four hours didn't get what I'd hoped for. At the very least, this bottle confirmed my decision to open a '12 and save my '10s.

2013 Obelisco Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Red Mountain
Opaque color. Concentrated, mouthcoating, modernist blackberry and blueberry fruit with chocolate and coffee. Good future ahead.

2004 Long Shadows Wineries Cabernet Sauvignon Feather Columbia Valley
Another three years in cellar fixed the issues I had with this wine in 2014. It's in prime drinking window now, everything in alignment and well-balanced, with time to go. 2004 was an underrated vintage in WA--here's more proof. Bully pulpit: This happened because of the huge ripe years of 02 and 03 behind it and the super ripe 05 coming up--04 is what you'd call a 'classic' vintage--if Washington's wine vocabulary included the word 'classic'. To date, it does not.

2007 Col Solare Columbia Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Dark and almost opaque with some garnet around the rim. Full bodied, lush and complex on the palate with a lot of rich iron notes in the secondary development. Tignannello-ish, and that's a big compliment for a WA wine from a member of the AFWE.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Some WA Big Guns

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Sounds like the Long Shadows is classic for Washington. There is no requirement that a classic vintage everywhere meet some European ideal.
Decisions are made by those who show up