The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: St. Patrick's Day Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: St. Patrick's Day Wines

by Jenise » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:11 pm

With the first course:

2016 Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
Don't know, but would guess by this that '16 was a coolish vintage. Not too lean, that is, just not as ripe as other Greywackes I've had. More citrus and less gooseberry and grass. Excellent match for an asparagus tart with an orange-shallot dressing.

With the corned beef:

2015 Domaine Lucien Lardy Morgon Côte du Py Gamay
Brought by a guest who picked it up for $18 on WTSO--smart purchase. Very poised presentation with dark fruit, spice and a pleasant sweet floral attack on the nose that seemed more Fleurie than Morgon, but I quibble. DELICIOUS. Another gamay that makes me wonder why I drink anything else.

2009 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Cune Gran Reserva Tempranillo Blend, Tempranillo
Seems younger than two bottles opened in Dec 17. Good spice and tempranillo essentials, but less leather and secondary nuance.

2010 Château de Camparian Pessac-Léognan Red Bordeaux Blend
Another wine from a guest. Sadly, corked, which gave me one of those bad hostess moments, as the guest who brought it couldn't tell that it wasn't deliberately musty. She was happy when I replaced it with this, however:

2013 Fidelitas Red Wine The Canyons Vineyard Red Mountain Red Blend
PnP. Elegantly assertive flavors of the young cabernet given some floral qualities in the nose from the malbec. Drank well, but has the structure for further cellaring and secondary development. A bargain at $30 from one of WA's A-list wineries.

b]2015 Kevin White Winery Pionnier Boushey Vineyard Yakima Valley Grenache Blend, Grenache[/b]
I love crunchy (look, Dale! I used it!) red fruit with corned beef dinner, and this 90% grenache blend NAILED it. Just medium bodied, tangy and lively fruit, no obvious oak in spite of a hint of vanilla bean, polished and pretty in the glass.

Dessert:

2005 Château Doisy-Daëne Sauternes Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc Blend
Quite tropical as seems typical of the vintage, but it's closer to ripe pineapple than ripe mango and not cloying. Excellent after dinner poured over some frozen halved green grapes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov