The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Laherte Rosé de Meunier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Laherte Rosé de Meunier

by Patchen Markell » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 am

Laherte Frères NV Champagne, Rosé de Meunier, Extra Brut. Deep, rich red fruit with herbaceous elements and minerality brought into the foreground as it proceeds toward the intensely dry finish. Unusual and delicious, and I can now say with confidence that I do like Pinot Meunier-based Champagne, though now I'd like to try a 100% PM blanc de noirs.

I'll catch up with a few other bottles soon; life has been busy, in good ways... indeed in ways that might even foretell the ability to cellar all of our wine at home in the near-ish future, after almost 20 years of off-site storage (I can't bear to do that math).
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Laherte Rosé de Meunier

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Sounds really interesting.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:I'll catch up with a few other bottles soon; life has been busy, in good ways... indeed in ways that might even foretell the ability to cellar all of our wine at home in the near-ish future, after almost 20 years of off-site storage (I can't bear to do that math).

I hear professional rumblings about a potential move to a certain domestic wine-growing region. Most likely a reduction in restaurant options, combined with savings in storage costs, think of all the extra money for buying wine to drink at home! (Not that any of these things are necessarily central to your decision)
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:13 am

Yes, it’s true! (And, at this point, public.) We’re moving to Ithaca this summer.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 am

And, sure, we love the Chicago restaurant scene. But we’ll come back for visits, and we’ll be a morning’s drive from NYC. (Cornell runs a lovely, comfortable, WiFi-equipped bus to Midtown.) Besides, we’re ready for a change of lifestyle. And the difference in real estate prices is flabbergasting...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:13 am

Welcome to Eastern Daylight Time.

You will never again see the end of a weeknight sporting event.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 am

Patchen Markell wrote:And, sure, we love the Chicago restaurant scene. But we’ll come back for visits, and we’ll be a morning’s drive from NYC. (Cornell runs a lovely, comfortable, WiFi-equipped bus to Midtown.) Besides, we’re ready for a change of lifestyle. And the difference in real estate prices is flabbergasting...

Yes, very different lifestyle! My mother is in phased retirement from Cornell, so I know a bit about the ups and downs of Ithaca life. And perhaps I will run into you when visiting her.

(Although she is more likely to visit us than vice versa, she has more time these days, and incentives to seek warmer weather in the south!)

Oh, and congrats!
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

David M. Bueker wrote:You will never again see the end of a weeknight sporting event.

The only sporting events I watch on TV with any regularity any more are (mostly DVR’d, mostly European) bicycle races, so this won’t be a problem.

And thanks!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:Yes, very different lifestyle! My mother is in phased retirement from Cornell, so I know a bit about the ups and downs of Ithaca life. And perhaps I will run into you when visiting her.

(Although she is more likely to visit us than vice versa, she has more time these days, and incentives to seek warmer weather in the south!)

Oh, and congrats!

Thanks! Would be fun to see you there. I’m not sure which “downs” you mean, though; the Cornell folks assured me there weren’t any. :wink:
cheers, Patchen