The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mature Pinots-Madonna and Talisman!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Mature Pinots-Madonna and Talisman!

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 am

According to the manager, the very last bottle (absent some stashed in storage somewhere???) of the delicious 2008 Madonna Estate Carneros Riserva "Due Ragazzi" Pinot Noir! :cry: Delicious! Darker fruit, so atypical for a Carneros Pinot. Plum, earth, a lovely clove flavor on the finish, some delicious funk. I love this wine (fourth bottle sampled). Happily, the 2009 vintage shows pretty nicely as well, and hopefully there is a good stock left!

For comparison, Joe opened a 2009 Taslisman Adastra (Carneros) Pinot Noir. Joe is a big fan of Talisman Pinots. I am less enamored, but will say it is a really fun tasting room experience. One of those where if you are interested (and willing to spend), all kinds of magic mature bottles appear for sampling! Lovely old storefront in "downtown" Glen Ellen. Anyway...the 2009 Adastra shows feral sour cherry with quite a touch of smoke. There is definitely a "house style" here-I think they prefer a heavier toast. What stood out, though, was the silky texture. This is an elegant wine! I prefer the clove-and-plum-and-funk fruit of the Madonna Estate, but the Taslisman definitely showed that elegance often considered the exemplar of Pinosity!

A very enjoyable comparison!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach