The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sweet sweet sixteen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Sweet sweet sixteen

by Mark S » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm

Felsina, Chianti Classico Riserva, 'Rancia', 2004
Tobacco, leather, savory flavors, wood notes and carob shell. Tight and austere, not really that attractive. Rather strange: almost has corked hints but opens more broadly to savory and woody notes. Lacking fun and enjoyment.

Suertes del Marques, Valle de la Orotaven, 'El Ciruelo', 2013
Unlike the Rancia, fun in spades. Black pepper nose with red fruits. Simple but refreshing, with black pepper, ripe cranberry and crabapple skin. [old vine Listan Negro from the Canaries]

Produttori, Barbaresco, 2006
Whoa! Tannic as hell without fruit to back it up. Nasty: thin, acidic, enamel scratching tannins. Yuck. [And this is from the so-called "better" later bottling of "reserve juice"] Nothing like a bottle tried when it first came out.

Domaine del Aguila, Ribera del Duero, 'Picaro del Aguila', 2014
Dark, with deep boysenberry, plum, and sandalwood. A strong minerality, but rather soft for such a young wine. Oak present on the backend. Like a wine from Paso. Prefer the rosado better. 14%

Louis Jadot, Beaune, Domaine Gagey, 'Cent Vignes' 2009
Floral strawberry and rosewater. Lightweight Burgundy...airy textured. At 9 years, ready to go.

Francois Cotat, Sancerre, 'Les Monts Damnes', 2010
Grapefruit with grassy scents. Soft in feel, citrus not as pronounced in the glass. Light butter cream frosting, watery egg white, touch of lemon water and caraway seed. Dee-lish.

Wegeler, Bernkastel Doctor, Riesling, Spatlese, 2004
Pristine color for a 14 year old. Green apple, bergamot, elder blossom with bright acidity. Youthful.

Guccione, Vino Bianco, 'C', N/V
Medium gold color. Savory brine with a salty tang. The slight oxidative note makes this feel like it's on the cusp of going downhill, so I would say to drink up to the thousands of owners of this strange bottle. Not as fresh as an Etna carricante (which this is made from, but from a different part of Sicily), or without the lift of it either. 13.5% Shows better cooler.

Passopisciaro, Sicilia IGT, 2009
Trying to find a good time to open these wines is a trying exercise. Very dry austerity, full of stems and seeds, amaro bitters, chinotto, and stern red fruits. Clamping tannins. Feels well-made, but just so tough to drink right now. 14%

Eminence Road, Pinot Noir, Finger Lakes, Elizabeth's Vineyard, 2012
Subtle smoky nose and mulled red fruits on the nose. Bright and spicy red fruits, blackcurrant leaf, with perhaps a tad of brett and/or volatile acidity. Good, but a little one dimensional and straight forward. 12.4%

Damien Laureau, Savennieres, 'Les Genets', 2007
Medium deep gold color. Quite a mute nose, perhaps some flaxseed and quince. There's ginger and quince on the palate, used chamomile teabags. Doubt this has the intensity to age further...drink up. 14%

Burgaud, Cote Rotie, 2007
Deep mulled plum with saltine cracker and shiso. Rich and full, but one sided. Not very charming. Lower acidity than usual for Burgaud, but still a bit oafish.

Domaine du Mas Blanc, Collioure, 'Clos du Moulin, 2004
Perfumed nose, with salted sweet plum and cherrywood. The tannins have melted away... Lots of sediment, so for those that have these, might want to decant. Lovely.

Drouhin, Savigny-les-Beaune, 'Clos des Gordeaux', 2009
Delicately textured and flavored, with raspberry and watermelon wash and light tannins. One dimensional, but good. Tastes like a California trousseau.

Sandlands, Trousseau, Sonoma County, 2013
Full of dull strawberry and stemmy sewage, lightly tannic still with good acidity, some orange rind in the back. Bit one dimensional, but not bad.

Livio Sassetti, Brunello di Montalcino, 2001
Sweaty aromas with black cherry and leather, herbs. Feeling soft and mature, with mulberry jam and old leather. It's alright, but a previous bottle was much better.
Last edited by Mark S on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Sweet sweet sixteen

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Mark S wrote:Felsina, Chianti Classico Riserva, 'Rancia', 2004
Tobacco, leather, savory flavors, wood notes and carob shell. Tight and austere, not really that attractive. Rather strange: almost has corked hints but opens more broadly to savory and woody notes. Lacking fun and enjoyment..

Too bad, I liked this near release. Low level TCA?

Produttori, Barolo, 2006
Whoa! Tannic as hell without fruit to back it up. Nasty: thin, acidic, enamel scratching tannins. Yuck. [And this is from the so-called "better" later bottling of "reserve juice"] Nothing like a bottle tried when it first came out..

Hmm. Later bottling sounds like the PdB Barbaresco. What wine are we talking about?
I have a several Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco '06, 2 different lots

Louis Jadot, Beaune, Domaine Gagey, 'Cent Vignes' 2009
Floral strawberry and rosewater. Lightweight Burgundy...airy textured. At 9 years, ready to go..

Liked this a lot on release

Francois Cotat, Sancerre, 'Les Monts Damnes', 2010
Grapefruit with grassy scents. Soft in feel, citrus not as pronounced in the glass. Light butter cream frosting, watery egg white, touch of lemon water and caraway seed. Dee-lish..

Think '10 is my favorite recent vintage for both Cotats, racier than '09

Eminence Road, Pinot Noir, Finger Lakes, Elizabeth's Vineyard, 2012
Subtle smoky nose and mulled red fruits on the nose. Bright and spicy red fruits, blackcurrant leaf, with perhaps a tad of brett and/or volatile acidity. Good, but a little one dimensional and straight forward. 12.4% .

I like ER, but prefer CF to PN
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Mark S wrote:Felsina, Chianti Classico Riserva, 'Rancia', 2004
Tobacco, leather, savory flavors, wood notes and carob shell. Tight and austere, not really that attractive. Rather strange: almost has corked hints but opens more broadly to savory and woody notes. Lacking fun and enjoyment..

Too bad, I liked this near release. Low level TCA?

I'm not really sure. I gave a sniff and smell to my wife and she didn't think so (and she has a pretty good sense when something is wrong) and I was going back-and-forth for the first half hour wondering if it was tca of not. I still don't know, because it wasn't something obvious.

Dale Williams wrote:
Mark S wrote:Produttori, 2006
Whoa! Tannic as hell without fruit to back it up. Nasty: thin, acidic, enamel scratching tannins. Yuck. [And this is from the so-called "better" later bottling of "reserve juice"] Nothing like a bottle tried when it first came out..

Hmm. Later bottling sounds like the PdB Barbaresco. What wine are we talking about?
I have a several Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco '06, 2 different lots

Of course you are right. I had Barolo on the brain...

Dale Williams wrote:
Mark S wrote:Eminence Road, Pinot Noir, Finger Lakes, Elizabeth's Vineyard, 2012
Subtle smoky nose and mulled red fruits on the nose. Bright and spicy red fruits, blackcurrant leaf, with perhaps a tad of brett and/or volatile acidity. Good, but a little one dimensional and straight forward. 12.4% .

I like ER, but prefer CF to PN

My preference too, but I like to try all their wines. For something really fun, try their rose of cabernet franc. Yum!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 am

Full of dull strawberry and stemmy sewage, lightly tannic still with good acidity, some orange rind in the back. Bit one dimensional, but not bad.

First time I have heard "sewage" described as "not bad". :lol: :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:

First time I have heard "sewage" described as "not bad". :lol: :mrgreen:

Hey, there's good sewage and bad. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Hmmm...my last bottle of the 09 Passopisciaro was great a year or so was great. However, your note about timing is well-taken--obviously, I wasn't sure I'd hit it either: "Poor recent CT notes made me nervous about this bottle, but it was in fact outstanding. Both nebbiolo-ish and Burgundian, vivid flavors, long finish. Drinks perfectly on opening...."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov