The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent Stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Recent Stuff

by Jenise » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:34 pm

2010 Cadence Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Red Mountain Red Bordeaux Blend
Last bottle of this one year ago was much lighter in color and density than this bottle. Therefore had low expectations here but instead youthful color and tannins with vivid, modern black fruit on the palate were a total surprise. Good bottles should handle another five years of cellaring easily.

2009 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru 150th Anniversary Pinot Noir
PnP. Mixed feelings here: great nose and a lot more depth/color than expected based on a juvenile bottle ages ago, but the fruit faded away during the second glass. Should have gone the other way.

2016 Bodegas Muga Rioja Flor de Muga Grenache Blend, Grenache
Beautiful grenache rose, subtle and understated. A tough sell at $28/bottle, though, even if it comes in a cool oversized bottle with an extraordinarily deep punt (looks like a liter, but is only 750).

2015 Georges Descombes Brouilly Gamay
Liquid cherry pie: red fruit and spice, good body and concentration, assertive on the palate. Shows great now but has enough tannins for further cellaring.

2016 Villa Sparina Gavi di Gavi Cortese
Splendid stuff. Good body, fruit, acidity. More serious QPR than I expected from the quirky (but attractive) bottle.

2015 Shooting Star (Jed Steele) Aligoté Washington
Aligote in Washington? For only $10? Had to try it. Glad I did--it's a solid wine and value. More body and character, without huge oak, than expected for the price with good varietal character. (Was afraid it would taste like a weak chard or PG, but it doesn't.) Abv only 13.6%, though I thought it tasted a little higher, and it showed some legs in the glass.

2015 Loic et Noel Bulliat Beaujolais-Villages Gamay
Better now than five months ago, and showed especially well--firmer, more delineated--chilled.

NV Domaine Chandon American Summer 2017 limited edition California Champagne Blend
A great little afternoon tipple. Fruit forward but balanced and dry, and uniquely packaged.

2014 Cameron Hughes Cabernet Sauvignon Lot 541 Paso Robles
At Brian & Kathy's. Not a fan of the producer or Paso Robles at all, so the significant info on this wine is less what it is than what it's not. It's not alcoholic (14.5, but it doesn't show), and it's not sappy/overripe/extracted/sweet. Medium bodied and entirely agreeable for an everyday kind of wine.

2013 Erewhon Pinot Noir New Zealand
Pnp. Youthful color with typical NZ raspberry fruit, evolves in the glass. Quite attractive but needs more time. Next bottle: 2021.

2015 Botanica Pinot Noir Mary Delany Collection Elgin
Opened for guests alongside a '13 New Zealand pinot, and the comparison surprised. Blind, would have guessed this the older wine--paler and brick-colored with a leathery nose that attractively includes herbs and a little Burgundian wet dog. Not a long hauler but the premature maturity is delish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Recent Stuff

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:19 pm

I actually had the '09 Jadot 150th a couple of weeks ago, and it felt like it was crawling back into its shell. It showed well (but young) at a dinner last summer, but this bottle was clammed up. All structure on the palate.

No worries for me. Just leave it alone for a while.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Sure hope you're right! Was odd to drink a 9 year old wine initially so open and have it fade out like that. Apparently, btw, the CT notes indicate there's lots of bottle variation on these guys.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Glad to read about the Cadence 2010. I have a couple of bottles of the 2007 and would think they are ready to be consumed. Do you think I should give my first one plenty of decant time?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Jim, 07 is a riper and less tannic vintage than 10, and most 07's are ready to go. Shouldn't require any decanting at all, though even most 'ready' wines seem to fill out a bit over the space of an hour. I go there when I have the time to.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Sure hope you're right! Was odd to drink a 9 year old wine initially so open and have it fade out like that. Apparently, btw, the CT notes indicate there's lots of bottle variation on these guys.

I more attribute that to variation in tasters than the wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Jenise wrote:Sure hope you're right! Was odd to drink a 9 year old wine initially so open and have it fade out like that. Apparently, btw, the CT notes indicate there's lots of bottle variation on these guys.

I more attribute that to variation in tasters than the wine.

I'm not comparing one taster to another, but instances where someone has opened a number of bottles and found no two alike.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 am

OK, but do you know their storage, provenance? It makes zero sense coming from a producer routinely chided for being too consistent (i.e. boring). I would much more attribute variation at this stage to the normal unpredictability of a young Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 pm

No, of course I know none of that and I understand the variables. It's just that the two most recent notes--January of this year--caused me to expect better. Theirs opened up, mine shut down.

1/16/2018 - TB_BALTIMORE WROTE: 92 Points
Highly anticipated and very nice wine -- improved over time out of the bottle -- drinking very well right now --

1/12/2018 - GDA202 LIKES THIS WINE: 90 Points
Well. The mystery ride that is this wine continues. I find the bottles so different. I almost believe they bottled different wines. Today’s was great. Decanted 90 minutes. Lovely, complex, almost Oregon on the nose and palette. Cherry and pressed strawberry, good length, still very “fresh”. Delightful. If only that were true with every bottle.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:22 pm

Those notes are not remotely useful in terms of a critical comparison. In fact they underscore why I ignore most of the CT great unwashed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm

I give up.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:13 pm

More for me
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Those notes are not remotely useful in terms of a critical comparison. In fact they underscore why I ignore most of the CT great unwashed.

I found them very useful; both figured into my decision to finally open one of these.