The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Veyder-Malberg Riesling Bruck '15...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Veyder-Malberg Riesling Bruck '15...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:04 am

Had this last night at ArroyoVino w/ PeterWork/Ampelos:
1. Veyder-Malberg Riesling Viesslinger Bruck (12%; CircoVino/Tuscon; www.Veyder.Malberg.At/en.html) Spitz/Wachau 2015: Med.gold color; very intense R/floral/mango fairly gout de petrol/Mosel valve oil slight stony/mineral complex beautiful nose; fairly tart very lush/rich/mouthfilling dry balanced intense R/floral/mango some Mosel valve oil slight stony/mineral/earthy complex flavor; very long/lingering same finish; a beautiful powerful smaragd-level Wachau R that will go on for yrs; still a bit on the pricey side but much better than the GV. $80.00 (AV)
1. I'd seen the Austrian wines of Veyder-Malberg up in Boulder over a yr ago and noted that they were pretty pricey. They appeared on the shelf at ArroyoVino over a month ago at a somewhat lesser price, so I bought & tried the V-M Gruner Hochrain. I liked it a lot, but didn't think it worth the $80 price tag when you could get the IngridGroiss SV Gruner at half that price. Resolved never to buy a V-M wine again.
So I was joining long-time friend, PeterWork/Ampelos, for dinner at ArroyoVino last night and, knowing Peter's fondness for Austrian wines, broke my V-M chastity vow and ordered this to go with our meal. I was mightly impressed by it...one of the best young Wachau R that I can recall. Still overpriced, but may go back & buy one to lay down.
2. Peter was equally impressed by this R. I learned that he blends in a little R into his Rose for the aromatics. He's had Graham Totomer advising him where to get good R in SBC. But he wanted to use bioDynamic R and couldn't get any grower to plant a small plot for him and farm it Bio. So on a steep hillside at Ampelos, just beyond & behind the horse barn, he put in a small plot of R for his Rose. In occasional yrs, he has an excess and makes a small amount of dry R. He plans to send me a btl.
Tom