The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Best time to buy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Best time to buy

by JuliaB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm

I never considered this, but a friend recently asked if there were better times than others throughout the year to buy wine. (yeah, yeah..I know any day ending in Y) Personally, I buy what interests me or seems like a good deal all year long. This man said he would like to stock up, say 3-4 times a year during the best value shopping times. I started to tell him no..but thought I would turn to the experts. What say you?

JuliaB
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Best time to buy

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:34 am

Funny that JB got more replies on FB than on a wine site.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 am

I would say I see good (and bad) deals year round, but a couple of seasons might have a (slightly)higher good deal rate. The obvious is late Jan/Feb, I'd say holiday season is worst time to buy, and after that a fair number of retailers do clearance sales. The other time is probably mid to late summer, I think retailers get a drag between people being on holiday and it being too warm to ship, so might cut a extra percent or two off normal margin to get cash flow. But as noted, I've found great deals at all times of year.

There are also some times that you are more likely to find closeouts on a particular type of wine, as new vintage arrives. That varies according to wine, and probably more on low end where retailer just wants to have one vintage of a NZ SB or whatever, less so with classified Bordeaux, Barolo, etc. Though there sometimes pricing pressure to move out "lesser" vintages as acclaimed vintages arrive.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks, Dale, that's the kind of information I was looking for my friend. You're right about the after the holiday season, especially in sparklers. I will pass that along. I found the best sale of my life serendipitously at a Whole Foods in South Bend, IN. Finding good deals is just part of the hunt!

Cheers!
Julia