The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 96 Grand Puy Lacoste

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: 96 Grand Puy Lacoste

by Patchen Markell » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Have a pot of lamb sugo on the stove. First thing we opened was a 2001 Musar. Corked.

Take two: Château Grand Puy Lacoste 1996 Pauillac. Bought on clearance in the early 2000s. Extremely aromatic; floral, mushroomy, rich red and black currant fruit, lots of cedar and tobacco and spice. There's still enough tannic astringency on the finish, as well as enough brightness -- almost tartness -- to the fruit to suggest that this is still on an upward trajectory. I remain especially amateur when it comes to Bordeaux, which has never been a serious pursuit, but this is awfully good.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 96 Grand Puy Lacoste

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 am

1996 left bank Bordeaux is often quite delicious. Some of it is still a bit hard, but overall it's a vintage I like very much.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: 96 Grand Puy Lacoste

by Patchen Markell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:09 am

I've had a few lately that I've enjoyed: this, a Sociando, and a Poujeaux. I have one more of each of those, but this G-P-L was, sadly, the last of a small handful I bought when the local superstore was closing out the vintage; the others (a Calon-Ségur and a Gruaud Larose) we opened much too soon, which pretty much taught me to stop buying single bottles of stuff like that.
cheers, Patchen