The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Syrah in Sedona

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Syrah in Sedona

by TomHill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 am

Interesting, if a bit shallow, article in the NYTimes:
SyrahInSedona
on the emergence of the AZ wine industry.
Tom
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

Re: NYTimes: Syrah in Sedona

by kasey.dubler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:35 am

I toured through most of the wineries they discuss back around 2010. I was surprised by the quality of the wines I found. We actually met Corey Turnbull, he was at Arizona Stronghold pouring his Burning Tree Cellars wines. I still have 5 bottles of wine form that trip in my cellar. Back then many of the wines were still being made from grapes trucked in from California, I'd love to go back now and try more true Arizona wines. Fun documentary called "Blood into Wine" that features Maynard and Eric talking about wine making in Arizona.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:40 am

kasey.dubler wrote:I toured through most of the wineries they discuss back around 2010. I was surprised by the quality of the wines I found. We actually met Corey Turnbull, he was at Arizona Stronghold pouring his Burning tree Cellars wines. I still have 5 bottles of wine form that trip in my cellar. Back then many of the wines were still being made from grapes trucked in from California, I'd love to go back now and try more true Arizona wines. Fun documentary called "Blood into Wine" that features Maynard and Eric talking about wine making in Arizona.

Welcome, Kasey. Glad to have you here on WLDG. Great bunch of folks..and a few of us curmudgeons.
I think a fair number of grapes in AZ wines also come from Paola d'Andrea's vnyd in Deming/NM.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: NYTimes: Syrah in Sedona

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Ya, the article (like the Blood into Sand movie) focuses on the northern wine area that, for me, isn't producing the most interesting AZ wines. I do like some of the wines from Burning Tree but not a fan of most of Cadeucus/Merkin for being over-extracted messes.

Now down south, in Willcox and Sonoita (AZ's only 2 designated AVAs), there is some much more interesting wines being made. Callaghan, Pillsbury, Sand-Reckoner, Dos Cabezas, Rune and a host of other. They are all focusing on AZ grown grapes. There are still a bunch of AZ wineries that bring in grapes from CA or NM but that is not where the better quality AZ wines are these days.