The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good week of wines sans kitchen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Good week of wines sans kitchen

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Friends have been inviting us over while kitchen is redone. Thursday we went over the hill, where we were greeted with shrimp saganaki. I had carried the 2016 Adegas Gran Vinum “ Nessa” Albarino (Rias Baixas). Fresh, hint of petillance, lemon and grapefruit. Nice saline finish. Bright and tasty. B/B+
Dinner was rotisserie chicken (need to get one for my grill) , with pasta primavera and kale salad

2013 Bila Haut “ Occultum Lapidem” (Cotes du Roussillon )

Dense, dark, extracted, a bit jammy. Not my style. C+

2014 Lapierre Morgon
Berries and flowers, just a hint of merde. Good acids, nice balance. B+/B

Betsy used crockpot to make Asian pulled pork, rice cooker to make rice, and sauteed some bokchoy while at her sisters Fri afternoon. Wine was the 1993 Michel Gaunoux Beaune. Great freshness for 25 year old village wine, bright acids, but black cherry fruit. Some earth and mushroom with time. Fine value, and no hurry. B+

Cal and Kath had us over for ribs, mustard greens, potato salad, & grilled cabbage.

2002 Ridge Lytton Springs
In the zone. Sweet dark berry fruit, a garrigue/herbal touch, ready to go. Could be longer, wouldn’t hold. B/B+

2007 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Spätlese Goldkapsel
Prime time. Lovely balance of sugar and acids, crisp yet with tropical fruit, some lime and apple blossom. Long, complete. A-

We do have a grill, invited a friend and his dog over for clams and garlic, and a squid/mushroom salad (of course it rained as I grilled)

2001 Havens Bourriquot
Friend leans towards red, so opened something I knew was a fave of his to start. Nice showing- rich dark fruit, a little tobacco and cocoa. Fully mature. B/B+

2014 Pepiere Muscadet
Just the base bottling, but crisp minerally and lemony. Tangy and tensile. B/B+

2006 Schloss Gobelsburg “Lamm” Gruner Veltliner
Big and rich, enough acid to balance, a hint of white pepper is what doesn’t make it a ringer for a good ripe vintage Meursault. Very good length, powerful wine but with nuance. A-/B+

No wine Monday (sous vide chicken) or Tuesday (Middle Eastern takeout)
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Good week of wines sans kitchen

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Love that Lamm.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Very impressed that those Havens have held in there. I owned them long ago, too, and wouldn't have trusted them to last.

Good luck with the renovations. What are you doing?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:55 pm

The Lamm teetered on the edge of too big, but kept its balance

Jenise, kitchen remodel. It's a small kitchen, but lots of work. No moving of fixtures, but replacing cabs/counter, putting cabinets/counters on 2 walls that didn't have, new floor, new backsplash, new lighting, etc
1885 house, the demo was a mess, and figuring out floor (3 inches higher on one side) a job. Electric roughed out.They're just finishing floors. Appliances and counters arrive next week, then counter installation,then countertops. Contractor is one of my best friends. But house too small for temp kitchen, so eating out, take out, or cooking by (a) using grill (b) using microwave sitting on top of dryer in basement or (c) using electric appliances- sous vide wand , rice cooker, slow cooker. Washing dishes in upstairs bath (downstairs bath is inaccessible till kitchen tile finished).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Dale Williams wrote:The Lamm teetered on the edge of too big, but kept its balance

Jenise, kitchen remodel. It's a small kitchen, but lots of work. No moving of fixtures, but replacing cabs/counter, putting cabinets/counters on 2 walls that didn't have, new floor, new backsplash, new lighting, etc
1885 house, the demo was a mess, and figuring out floor (3 inches higher on one side) a job. Electric roughed out.They're just finishing floors. Appliances and counters arrive next week, then counter installation,then countertops. Contractor is one of my best friends. But house too small for temp kitchen, so eating out, take out, or cooking by (a) using grill (b) using microwave sitting on top of dryer in basement or (c) using electric appliances- sous vide wand , rice cooker, slow cooker. Washing dishes in upstairs bath (downstairs bath is inaccessible till kitchen tile finished).

Very familiar! Lived for over a year (was supposed to be four months) on just a toaster oven, a MW, a rice cooker (in which I discovered I could also steam vegetables, Chinese dumplings, and an artichoke) and outdoor BBQ, weather permitting. It's an adventure to be sure! But especially in an older home. Wish you the best of luck with everything and hope you post pix when it's done.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov