The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon Sparkling Rose'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

WTN: Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon Sparkling Rose'

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 am

Our local wine shop sent out a notice that it recently acquired several cases of NV Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon Sparkling Rose' ($17). Here is the description sent out with that email:
Imagine drinking a delicate glass of mildly sparkling strawberries that is semi-dry, and a beautiful shade of pink. This is Bugey Cerdon. It comes from a very remote region in France, and is made from Gamay and a local grape called Poulsard. It is low in alcohol, about 7%, and is delicate and immensely refreshing. We think it is a wonderful aperitif, but it also makes an excellent dessert wine and even goes well with chocolate. If you haven’t figured it out yet, it is the QUINTESSENTIAL Valentine’s Day wine.

Here's another description I found for this most interesting wine:
This lightly sweet, sparkling pink gem from the picturesque French Alps is made from organic Gamay and Poulsard grapes using the methode ancestrale. Unlike the methode champenoise or carbonation method, here the grapes are fermented in chilled vats until the alcohol reaches about 6%. After a light filtration that leaves most of the active yeast in the unfinished wine, it is bottled and continues fermenting, stopping at about 7.5% - 8% alcohol, retaining perceptible sweetness from the grapes and leaving a mouthwatering bouquet of strawberry jam and blueberry compote. The body is a delectable expression of strawberry, pretty rose hip and a touch of blushing peach. Perfect as an aperitif or dessert with red velvet cake.

I tasted this wine today ... actually, I drank 2/3 of the bottle. It is a very pretty and delicate sparkler, which is aptly described above. I would just add that the wine has just a breath of sweetness, not at all overdone. I'll probably buy more of this one to serve to guests. It is very unique and sure to be a crowd pleaser. Oh, I also ate a Chukar milk chocolate covered dried cherry with this wine. It went surprisingly well together.

Note of caution: The moment I loosened the wire cage on this bottle, the cork flew out on its own. This is why I always place a kitchen towel over the top of the bottle before I loosen the cage.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon Sparkling Rose'

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 am

We go through lots of this in the summer, Clark. Fun stuff and it's great for brunch.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:58 am

The Bugey is the single most "explosive" sparkler I know of. Almost every cork has self-ejected. I NEVER get that with Champagne.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 am

Clark, welcome to the club. What I love about this wine is that the geeks totally get it, and the non-geeks and mothers-in-law love it too. I've never served it to anyone who wasn't impressed on some level.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:27 pm

It is nice that a few more cases of this were found and made it out to the Pacific NW. Like the sunshine we've been enjoying this week, the Bugey pink sparkler is always welcome.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:24 pm

I'll join the chorus. A wine that can make me, a K-J chard drinker, and a "I only drink reds" person all smile.