The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tom Hill, were your ears burning?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Tom Hill, were your ears burning?

by Jenise » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:53 am

So I was at my favorite local indie wine retailer the other day and mentioned that I'd made a winery-direct purchase of the 2014 Tamarack Cellars Counoise for tonight's Obscure Grape" tasting. Ted asked if I was concerned about the oak (no, in fact with this group that would be a plus) and how I even knew Tamarack made this. And I said well there's this nuclear physicist in Santa Fe and Ted floored me with, "Oh, would that be Tom Hill?"

Well, Tom, if you're listening: apparently you and Ted both know one Robert Goodfriend, who came to Bellingham for awhile after leaving Santa Fe. During his stint here, he and Ted talked wine a lot and Robert referenced you so often that Ted remembers your name.

Once again, the world of wine is amazingly small.

So last night I opened one of these puppies. From Red Mountain fruit (in Washington, tantamount to Napa's Diamond Mountain), an unexpected delight. Hugely perfumed (drank best in a Burgundy glass) with loads of attractive red fruits and just a hint of vanilla and spice from 2nd and 3rd year French oak barrels. Unfamiliar with counoise as a stand-alone grape, was impressed by the balance and structure that developed in the glass. Body & concentration similar to an expensive pinot noir.

The most amazing thing about this attractive and delicious wine is that, where grapes grown for/relegated to only blending purposes usually kind of show why that's true in the glass, there is nothing about this wine that isn't special enough to showcase on its own. It's got everything. Should cellar and evolve another five years at least, but I probably wouldn't be able to keep my hands off them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Tom Hill, were your ears burning?

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 am

Jenise wrote:The most amazing thing about this attractive and delicious wine is that, where grapes grown for/relegated to only blending purposes usually kind of show why that's true in the glass, there is nothing about this wine that isn't special enough to showcase on its own.

With wineries looking for something to make them stand out, I think people in the new world are lavishing more care on grapes that are normally an afterthought in their homelands. I bet if some southern French producer wanted to put a ton of care into Counoise they could make a great one. It's not financially viable for them. It's probably not financially viable for the US producer either, but they do it as a project/labor of love.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:25 am

Jenise wrote:So I was at my favorite local indie wine retailer the other day and mentioned that I'd made a winery-direct purchase of the 2014 Tamarack Cellars Counoise for tonight's Obscure Grape" tasting. Ted asked if I was concerned about the oak (no, in fact with this group that would be a plus) and how I even knew Tamarack made this. And I said well there's this nuclear physicist in Santa Fe and Ted floored me with, "Oh, would that be Tom Hill?"

Well, Tom, if you're listening: apparently you and Ted both know one Robert Goodfriend, who came to Bellingham for awhile after leaving Santa Fe. During his stint here, he and Ted talked wine a lot and Robert referenced you so often that Ted remembers your name.
Once again, the world of wine is amazingly small.

Yup...true dat!!
It may actually be that he & I have met. I visited Robert when he had his Italian restaurant there in Bellingham. Robert did a
dinner one Sun afternoon & he had a friend over by the name of Ted. We talked wine for several hrs.
Robert was making wine at one time under the Harlequin label. Now I think his only gig is running The Tasting Room up on
PostSt in Seattle above the Pike Market.
Your post brought a smile to my face.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Oh so you did meet Ted! I didn't understand that part, how amazing. How long ago was that?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh so you did meet Ted! I didn't understand that part, how amazing. How long ago was that?

Well, Jenise....would have been probably 25 yrs ago or so. I just vaguely remember that Robert's friend's name was Ted.
Lotta (good) wine went down that afternoon.
Tom