The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Vignalta Alpinae/'11 & '00...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Vignalta Alpinae/'11 & '00...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Tried these two dessert wines over the last few weeks:
1. Vignalta Alpianae DOCG: Colli Euganei Fior d'Arancio Passito (11%; www.vignalta.it/en/) Vignalta/Arqua Petrarca/Veneto 2011: Deep golden/burnished bronze slight browning color; very intense cheap hair oil/orange muscat intense grapey some complex beautiful nose; lightly tart very intense hair oil/orange muscat/orange blossom very intense garpey/muscatty very sweet/passito light earthy beautiful flavor; very long/lingering intense hair oil/muscatty/orange muscat very floral/orangey very passito/grapey rather complex finish; a terrific expression of orange muscat passito; this is a wine they could be making all over Calif if they wanted to. $28.00/hlf (CB)
2. Vignalta Alpianae DOCG: Colli Euganei Fior d'Arancio Passito (12%) Vignalta/Arqua Petrarca 2000: Deep golden/somewhat brown/Amatillado sherry color that turn to Oloroso over the next 30 min; very intense grapey/passito/orangey very honeyed/honeycomb some earthy slight volotile some CinammonCrisp/creme brulee/flan/caramel complex beautiful old passito nose; very tart/tangy fairly sweet intense orangey/orange blossom/honeyed/honeycomb creme brulee/flan some muscatty/floral very complex beautiful flavor; very long/lingering very intense passito/grapey very orangey/honeyed/honeycomb bit floral/muscatty quite creme brulee/flan/caramel fairly sweet very complex finish; a beautiful complex very orangey/flan mature passito that should continue to improve and maybe go out 20 more yrs; a spectacular dessert wine. $20.00/hlf (CB)
But his real claim to fame is his radicchio. Radicchio pretty much grows wild in Italy. Lucio developed the technique to grow radicchio as a single crop. With 7,200 acres of radicchio (both Verona/Chiogga and Treviso) planted in the SalinasVlly and Florida, he is, by far, the largest procuder of radicchio. It's even imported into Ital. Talk about coals to Newcastle.
Of these two, I far preferred the '00 because of its greater complexity. What was amazing is that after I poured it into my glass it had gotten progressively browner over the 30 min I was drinking it. The next morning, the glass on the counter was almost the color of a PX. I'd never seen a wine darken in front of my very eyes.
2. I had the '00 with a BodegaPrime almond cake. A very good match, though the intensity tended to overwhelm the cake. I had the '11 with Darrell's Baghi's Pandolce all' Alpinae Vignalta; a leavened cake w/ candied orange and soaked in Alpianae, a spectacular combination.
Tom