The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: There's a Neu kid in town

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: There's a Neu kid in town

by Jenise » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm

2014 JB Neufeld Cabernet Sauvignon Yakima Valley
A very pleasant, medium bodied blend of red and black fruits with a bit of grip and a good finish from one of Washington's newer labels begun by a young couple who hope to make it big some day. Their wines were featured on BerserkerDay, so I grabbed a few to help the home team. Well made and tasty for the first real evening of patio sitting this season, but lacks resonance--I suspect the fruit might have come from very young vines.

Then we opened:

2006 Ramey Larkmead Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Oh yeah, this has resonance. I picked up 12 for a ridiculous $29 per back in the recession--fewer buyers around and no vintage hype, so available for a song to people like me willing who appreciate classic structure and talented winemaking. These have just been humming along for the past year and a half, and the wine's in it's prime drinking zone right now--no end in sight.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: There's a Neu kid in town

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

Fantastic score on the Ramey. Great site plus great winemaker.

Good title as well!
Decisions are made by those who show up