The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A Dud and Stud weekend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

A Dud and Stud weekend

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:42 am

Let's get the dud out of the way first.

2003 Ch. Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
This is not the estate bottling and I believe it previously was called the Calistoga Cuvee. What a major disappointment. I detected no obvious flaws other than the wine did not appeal to my palate. The tiny bit of muted fruit just laid there with little support from the tannins and acidity sections of the choir. Clipped finish. Perhaps there was some low level TCA think going on that none of us could detect, but as is, this is a definite pass at ~$35.

And now the stud.

2005 Edmunds St John Shell and Bone White, Paso Robles
Viognier and Roussanne blend. Another winner from what is quickly becoming my favorite domestic producers as voted by the contents of my cellar. Honey and stone fruit framed by fragrant spring and summer flowers which added a nice touch to an otherwise cold and dreary Midwestern winter day. Good heft and viscosity. A joy to drink. ~$17

BP

Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: A Dud and Stud weekend

by OW Holmes » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:31 am

Bill, you are lucky to have access to so many ESJ wines. Not a single one can be found on our shelves in Grand Rapids.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: A Dud and Stud weekend

by Jenise » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am

Re the dud: I wonder how many other semi-knowledgeable wine persons have stumbled over the Montelena at $35ish and thought they'd stumbled over a windfall of the original estate bottling? I did. Got it home and opened it and complained about it too before I figured it out. Almost fell for it again a few weeks ago, though this time I knew what to look for and did before my heart got to beating too fast. Sure is a letdown.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov