The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Claire De Lune

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Claire De Lune

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm

2016 Donkey and Goat Clairette Blanche, El Dorado County

The Wikipedia article on Clairette Blanche was not too promising (flabby, soft, bulk grapes better suited for vermouth), buit I quite enjoyed this take on the rare variety. More crispness and brightness than I expected, with the round richness I associate with "Rhone Whites". Nice stuff.

2013 Preston Family J. Preston Red Table Wine. Bright cherry fruit, but definitely some weight. Earthy and savory notes with a touch of licorice come out as the wine airs. Quite lovely.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Claire De Lune

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Rare in a single-varietal wine, but not that uncommon in Southern France blends. It's one of the 13 authorized grapes in Châteauneuf-du-Pâpe. :)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmm..

by TomHill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2016 Donkey and Goat Clairette Blanche, El Dorado County
The Wikipedia article on Clairette Blanche was not too promising (flabby, soft, bulk grapes better suited for vermouth), buit I quite enjoyed this take on the rare variety. More crispness and brightness than I expected, with the round richness I associate with "Rhone Whites". Nice stuff.

No skin-contact??
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm

Not in this case, even though Jarod loves some funky colored wines!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm

I love pretty much everything I've tried from D&G but will have to try and hunt this one down. I've had a few Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc recently with varying levels of Clairette and I have preferred the ones with higher levels so I would love to try it on it's own! I believe that Chateau Rayas's white wine is heavy in Clairette as well. I've never tried it, but heard many good things...

Thank you for posting the notes.