The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vranac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Vranac

by Patchen Markell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am

Last night at a dinner for a local artist, we were served glasses of a Monastery Tvrdoš "Metoh," Bosnia-Herzegovina Red Wine, a blend of Vranac, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot. (I managed to forget the vintage but I'm guessing either 2015 or 2014.) Never had a wine made with Vranac before, and this was really delicious. It had a flinty, smoky, and tart-savory character reminiscent in some ways of Cabernet Franc, and yet I wouldn't have mistaken it for that -- it was very much its own thing. A terrific pairing with a creative dish of rabbit sausage and sous-vide rabbit loin with an onion relish spiked with mustard seed and a sweet-tart onion chutney. I think this monastery also makes a varietal Vranac, which I'd love to try.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Vranac

by TomHill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Last night at a dinner for a local artist, we were served glasses of a Monastery Tvrdoš "Metoh," Bosnia-Herzegovina Red Wine, a blend of Vranac, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot. (I managed to forget the vintage but I'm guessing either 2015 or 2014.) Never had a wine made with Vranac before, and this was really delicious. It had a flinty, smoky, and tart-savory character reminiscent in some ways of Cabernet Franc, and yet I wouldn't have mistaken it for that -- it was very much its own thing. A terrific pairing with a creative dish of rabbit sausage and sous-vide rabbit loin with an onion relish spiked with mustard seed and a sweet-tart onion chutney. I think this monastery also makes a varietal Vranac, which I'd love to try.

I've only Vranac before from Tikves in Macedonia. It reminded me a bit of Lagrein or Blaufrankisch. But it was made
by Phillipe Cambie in his typical Jabba the Hutt style, so that's not a good indication.
Tom
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: Vranac

by Patchen Markell » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 am

The Lagrein comparison makes sense to me, Tom. And this was definitely not Huttish, so if you come across this one, I think it'd be worth your while!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 am

Tom will tell us that Vranac can be found in Calif!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 pm

The one Tom Hill refers to we had just a few weeks ago--plenty of wood of course, and spicy more like zinfandel than cab franc.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Tom will tell us that Vranac can be found in Calif!!

Yup....I've been preaching the gospel for yrs, Bob, that Vranac should be being planted all
up&down the Coast in Calif. Alas, like most prophets in their time, I'm totally dismissed as a crank
and a charlatan. But you wait & see.
Tom