The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Haut-Brion, Cheval Blanc & Latour

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Haut-Brion, Cheval Blanc & Latour

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Celebrating the annual trifecta of my parents birthdays and anniversary on three consecutive days got a little boost from my dad’s 75th birthday. We ended up pulling out all the stops with three top Bordeaux. Each was distinctive, and each was excellent in its own way.

1966 Haut-Brion
Decanted off of its very fine sediment two hours in advance, and then covered to prevent excessive air, this showed fully evolved, with minimal to no tannin, subtle red fruit, iron-rich minerality, tobacco and cedar tones. The overall palate depth was excellent, and the finish had good balance, with no holes anywhere. It was pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be.

2008 Cheval Blanc
Closer to three hours of air for this one (we drank the wines in sequence, rather than having multiple glasses on the crowded table), and while it was still young and tight, the aromatic beauty of Cheval Blanc was still on display. Flowers, fresh air on a spring day, red fruit, and a hint of cocoa powder mixed with vanilla made a complex and alluring scent. I just kept going back to the glass to take another sniff. On the palate it was less showy, but not tough. The fruit was present, and the finish went on for as long as anyone could wait before taking another sip. I wish I had more, but it was lovely to experience this one.

2001 Latour
We finished up with the wine that was the broadest, and while still very young, had the most to give. Darker in fruit and disposition than either the Haut-Brion or the Cheval Blanc, the Latour also showed more tannin, as well as more mid-palate and finishing richness. It also benefited from the most air, and continued to open up over the time we spent with it. Would another five to seven years been beneficial? Of course. Was it an enjoyable and memorable experience? Definitely!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Haut-Brion, Cheval Blanc & Latour

by Tim York » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for those notes.

Haut-Brion and Latour count among my great wine experiences. With Haut-Brion, it was the '66 like yours, though my last bottle about a year ago was diminished though not completely spoilt by a lower shoulder level ullage. With Latour I have superb memories of '45, '61 and '70, especially the first.

I have only had one Cheval Blanc, '80 I think, and I don't remember much about it. A void which I would love to fill but that's unlikely nowadays in view of its astronomic price.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 am

Brilliant David!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am

Congratulations to your parents.
What a way to celebrate.
Love the '66 HB.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Wow!
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com