The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx, big (bottle) Nebbiolo, Burgs,Loire,Spanish bubbly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx, big (bottle) Nebbiolo, Burgs,Loire,Spanish bubbly

by Dale Williams » Mon May 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Betsy had a concert and I had leftovers (sausage, eggplant, mushrooms) and the 2014 L’Ecu “Granite” Muscadet. Pit fruits, meyer lemon, good acids. B+

Saturday we went to a benefit for social programs at a local church. A Cinco de Mayo theme, with programs for immigrants spotlighted. During the silent auction phase there were several kinds of salsas, guacamole, and the NV Jaume Serra “Cristalino” Brut Cava. Very light, granny smith and lemon, simple but easy. B-

I had carried wines for our table, including a mag of Champagne but ended up opening
the 2013 Raventos I Blanc “De La Finca” (Conca Del Riu Anoia). Super crisp, grapefruit and green apple, long oyster shell finish. Quite fun. B+

Shrimp Ceviche
2001 Remi Jobard “ Le Poruzot-Dessus Meursault 1er.
I carried 2 of these, one showed just a hint of appley oxidation, other was fresher, but not especially complex, hint of oak, ripe apples. Others liked more. B-

Grilled Skirt steak, Chicken Mexican style, stuffed peppers with saffron rice, corn/bean salad.

2003 Travaglini Gattinara (Double Magnum)
Thought with big crowd fun to share a 3 liter (big version of the funky Travaglini bottle). Good acids for ‘03, light tannin, red cherry and raspberry with some lemon zest. I double decanted at home (multiple decanters), but it opened up in bottle at party, revisited at dessert time it had some Piedmont tar I didn’t notice before. Not a ringer for Barolo, but fun. B+/B

1979 Domaine de Chevalier
Double-decanted about 2 hours before serving. Cedar/cigarbox and red plums, good acids, just a hint of tannin, nice earth/mushroom notes as it develops. Nice showing from an old fave. B+/A-

2015 Cline Zinfandel (Lodi)
Sweet, simple, but competent. B-

2013 Abrazo
Jammy, yet weedy, short/clipped finish. C

Fun night

Betsy was at a business dinner Sunday, I grilled tuna and made some cauliflower, wine was the 1998 Poujeaux. Cassis, black plum, moderate acids, not a lot of tannin but what is there a bit tacky. Servicable. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.