The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Germanier Fendant de Vetroz '16...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Germanier Fendant de Vetroz '16...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun May 13, 2018 10:15 am

New wine showed up on the shelves in NM, so had to try it:
1. Jean-Rene Germanier LesTerrasses Fendant de Vetroz AOC: Valais Suisse Rhone Valle (Chasselas; 12%; www.SchatziWines.com; www.JRGermanier.Ch) Gilles-Besse 2016: Pale yellow color w/ lots of tiny bubbles that rapidly agglomerate into big bubbles on the surface; rather stony/mineral/chalky/perfumed talc vaguely fruity/CB-like rather dull/neutral nose; quite frizzante/spritzy light stony/mineral/chalky ersatz acidity slight neutral fruit rather vapid/flavorless flavor; very short spritzy/frizzante/prickly quite neutral/vapid slight stony/mineral finish; clearly refreshed by CO2 to give an ersatz acidity but why?; dull as dishwater & way overpriced. $25.00 (SFW&S)
1. I'm rather sensitive when I encounter a wine that's been refreshed w/ CO2. When you pour this wine into the glass, there's this big swirling cloud of tiny/tiny bubbles that rapidly agglomerate into much larger bubbles that rise to the top. The visuals can be absolutely mesmerizing. A true look into the world of chaos.
The freshening of a wine w/ CO2 gives it an ersatz acidity that immediately dissipates on the palate as the CO2 comes out of solution. Why this wine would need to be refreshed is beyond me. I would think, from the Suisse Valais, it would already have a bracing acidity. And I find that such refreshed wines invariably have a very short finishj. Anyway, a technique I find doesn't do much for a wine.
2. As I was tasting this wine, I was wondering if this met JamieGoode's criteria for a "true" wine and, therefore, I should like it. Probably not, because the added CO2 greatly perturbed the character of the wine.
Tom