The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Liquid Farm; Droin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Liquid Farm; Droin

by Patchen Markell » Mon May 14, 2018 8:12 am

Liquid Farm 2013 Santa Maria Valley Chardonnay "La Hermana." The third bottling of LF I've tried from this vintage (along with White Hill and Golden Slope). Would have been instructive to do them side by side, rather than months apart, but this strikes me as "just right," less lush and overtly tropical than the Golden Slope, but a little more relaxed and inviting at five years' age than the White Hill. Citrus, flowers, and flint; whatever wood treatment there was was judicious and seems pretty well integrated now, though this also seems young enough to warrant more cellar time. I like both the balance and the energy here a lot. 60% Bien Nacido fruit.

Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin 2000 Chablis Grand Cru "Grenouilles." In great condition. Bright yellow. Lightly caramelized pear, citrus, and a bit of salinity, all encased in an appealing waxiness. The flavors here remain bright and clean -- tree fruit rather than earth or mushroom. There's enough life left in this that I'd describe it as being solidly middle-aged. Nice match with halibut and morel cream.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Liquid Farm; Droin

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 am

Great luck with the Chablis!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 am

Bien Nacido seems to be a "Grand Cru" vineyard. Absolutely adore the Bonny Doon Syrahs from this location.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am

Yes, I had multiple backups at serving temp. Quite a relief.

I'm now down to my last three bottles of Chablis from 2000/2002 -- a Brocard and two Dauvissats. We'll see...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 am

I need to spend more time with Bien Nacido -- and with Central Coast wines in general, which I think I unfairly wrote off as "not my style" based on some very big, goopy, hot bottles tasted in the early 2000s. I've had some compelling counterexamples recently.
cheers, Patchen