The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: LaSibilla Pisciarella CampiFlegrei '13...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: LaSibilla Pisciarella CampiFlegrei '13...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu May 17, 2018 2:39 pm

We had this as a mystery wine last night:
13. LaSibilla Pisciarella Campi Flegrei/Campania (2 weeks on skins; OliverMcCrumImports) Luigi di Meo 2013:
Med.gold cloudy color; some phenolic/resiny/skin-contact/cidery/orangey bit herbal/fresh hay/Kansas feed
store/funky some earthy very interesting complex nose; bit soft/metallic/tangy some phenolic/resiny/cidery/
orangey fairly stony/mineral slight oxidative/feed store/herbal very complex flavor w/ slight tannic/bitter
character; very long some phenolic/resiny/skin contact/cidery/orangey slight honeyed bit soft/metallic
slight earthy/oxidative slight feed store/herbal slightly coarse complex finish w/ slight tannic bite;
a fair amount phenolic/skin contact character but not the austere/tannic character on the palate that makes
some skin-contact whites unattractive; quite an inteesting skin-contact that reminds me some of MattRorick/
Forlorn-Hope skin-contact whites from Lodi. $147.00 (TotalWines)
________________________________________________________________________________________________
More grugglespiff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. LaSibilla: This is a wnry located just west of Naples. The specialize in Piedirosso and Falanghina varieties.
Planted on very sandy soil that doesn't require grafted rootstock. This is my first experience with their wines,
but I'm hoping to try them sometime.
Luigi is interested in reviving some of the region's near-extinct varieties. This is one of those varieties. No
reference to this variety in Robinson or d'Agata. There is zero/nada/zip hits w/ Google on this name. So, for
all intents and purposes, it is already extinct. If it doesn't exist on the InterNet...it doesn't exist. He is
also experimenting with a variety called Catalanesca. It was imported from Catalonia in 1450 and planted on
the slopes of Mt.Somma. I have, of course, followed this variety from the very start.
I liked this wine quite a lot in that it had a good balance between phenolic character and a lot of other
things going on in this wine. Clearly, a variety they should be planting all up&down the Coast in Calif.
Tom