The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More Timorasso/Gruner+Others...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: More Timorasso/Gruner+Others...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 pm

We tasted last night (5/16/18) Some New Whites:
1. Ricci Terre del Timorasso DOC: Colli Tortonesi (14.5%; DinoCapriottiSlctn) Ricci Carlo Daniele/
Costa Vescovato 2015
: Med.gold color w/ tiny bubbles that agglomerate on the surface; very light
pear/peach/floral rathe quiet/simple nose; rather tart ersatz acid frizzante very light pear/peach/Timorasso
rather weak/vapid flavor; rather short (from refreshed CO2) light pear/peach/Timo slight earthy watery/
vapid finish; a rather dull/vapid expression of Timo; another wine done in by dissolved CO2. $25.00 (K&L)
caramel some floral/peachy bit earthy/herbal fairly complex nose some like an older Roussanne; some tart/
tangy light nutty/oxidative some caramel/toasty/butterscotch full/rich/lush light herbal/earthy complex
lovely flavor; very long tart/tangy bit nutty/oxidative/aged some peach/pear/floral/carnation complex
finish; showing a bit of age but still a wonderful drinking Timorasso. $27.50 (KK)
caramel rather weak finish; speaks of Timo with a whisper; the regular Derthona is way better at only $5
more a btl. $20.00 (K&L)
fairly complex nose; lightly tart strong floral/pear/peach/Timo bit caramel/toasty some complex flavor; very
long/lingering strong Timo/pear/peach/floral bit caramel/aged finish; strong Timo character but shows a bit
the age or oak or both; pretty pricey at$60.00 (K&L)
pear/peach/Timo/quite spicy finish w/ an aftertaste that goes on&on; probably the best Timo I've had but
only slightly better than the regular Derthona Timo; pricey at $60.00 (K&L)
chalky orangey rather perfumed lovely nose; fairly tart very floral/aromatic/spicy/peach blossom some chalky/
stony/mineral/saline fairly rich/lush flavor; very long/lingering floral/peach blossom fairly saline/stony/
chalky/mineral finish; not as coarse and more high-toned than I expected; not as lightweight as their regular
EtnaBianco; lovely white w/ a lovely salinity to it; on the pricey side but may be worth it. $50.00 (K&L)
bit smokey very strong phenolic/resiny/skin-contact quite spicy bit peppery slight honeyed/orangey quite
complex nose; fairly tart/tangy very strong phenolic/resiny/cidery/skin-contact rather honeyed/orangey/spicy
light earthy/peppery quite complex flavor w/ slight tannic bite; very long/lingering quite strong resiny/
phenolic/skin-contact/cidery some honeyed/orangey light earthy/smokey very complex finish w/ slight tannic
nip; a very complex/exotic orange wine w/o the hard/tannic/austere many of them w/ extended skin-contact
show; resembles some the Forlorn-Hope Ramato; one of the better examples of skin-contact whites around at
a very fair price. $27.00 (K&L)
white pepper beautiful nose; fairly tart/tangy quite strong white pepper/gloral/GV/spicy light earty flavor;
very long/lingering strong white-pepper very floral/spicy/GV slight earthy finish; a beautiful expression
of GV w/ loads of white pepper character at a great price; way overperforms its pay grade. $26.00 (AV)
slight white pepper rather rich/lush flavor; very long/lingering rather rich/lush/honeyed slight funky/
hantavirus some floral/spicy/GV very slight white pepper finish; seems a bit aged afore its time and maybe
a bit of botrytis; quite a nice nose but a bit funky on the palate. $30.00 (K&L)
short bit vapid/watery slight spritz/CO2 some floral/GV/spicy finish; a pleasant enough nose but the
dissolved CO2 makes the wine come across as vapid/dilute on the palate; rather overpriced at $32.00 (AV)
youthful lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy slight metallic very strong GV/floral/spicy/bit citric some
white-pepper somewhat rich/lush quite attractive GV flavor; very long quite spicy/bit white-pepper/floral/GV
beautiful finish; a bit simple right now but should get a whole lot better over the next yr; an absolutely
lovely GV at a great price. $22.00 (SFW&S)
white-pepper somewhat tart fairly rich/lush beautiful bit complex finish; slightly preferred this to the GV
as a bit more interesting; beautiful GS at a great price. $25.00 (SFW&S)
orangey fairly stony/mineral slight oxidative/feed store/herbal very complex flavor w/ slight tannic/bitter
character; very long some phenolic/resiny/skin contact/cidery/orangey slight honeyed bit soft/metallic
slight earthy/oxidative slight feed store/herbal slightly coarse complex finish w/ slight tannic bite;
a fair amount phenolic/skin contact character but not the austere/tannic character on the palate that makes
some skin-contact whites unattractive; quite an interesting skin-contact that reminds me some of MattRorick/
Forlorn-Hope skin-contact whites from Lodi. $147.00 (TotalWines)
________________________________________________________________________________________________
More grugglespiff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. LaSibilla: This is a wnry located just west of Naples. The specialize in Piedirosso and Falanghina varieties.
Planted on very sandy soil that doesn't require grafted rootstock. This is my first experience with their wines,
but I'm hoping to try them sometime.
Luigi is interested in reviving some of the region's near-extinct varieties. This is one of those varieties. No
reference to this variety in Robinson or d'Agata. There is zero/nada/zip hits w/ Google on this name. So, for
all intents and purposes, it is already extinct. If it doesn't exist on the InterNet...it doesn't exist. He is
also experimenting with a variety called Catalanesca. It was imported from Catalonia in 1450 and planted on
the slopes of Mt.Somma. I have, of course, followed this variety from the very start.
I liked this wine quite a lot in that it had a good balance between phenolic character and a lot of other
things going on in this wine. Clearly, a variety they should be planting all up&down the Coast in Calif.
I saw these high-end Massas at K&L and wanted to try them. They also had a lower-end Petite Derthona that
looked promising. I was rather disappointed in this one. These two high-end Massas were good, but only slightly
better than the basic Derthona at half the price.
to now make me a believer in Carricante.
unknown parent. In the middle 2000's, an unknown vine was identified in an abandoned pasture near the St.Georgen
village. The vine, now called StGeorgener-Rebe, turns out, by DNA, to be the missing parent of GrunerVeltliner.
The vine is being propagated into a vnyd and will eventually be made as a varietal wine.
reasonably-priced GV. Alas, pretty disappointing.
Because of their youth, I was expecting to find a slight amount of dissolved CO2 in these wines. I was not
able to pick up any of that, though.
Alas, in NM, only these basic bottlings show up, plus the rose. They don't bring in or are not allocated
her higher-end/more expensive bttlgs, which typically are terrific. Definitely a producer you can count on
yr in & yr out.
Tom