The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: SQN Autrement Dit Rose '06...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: SQN Autrement Dit Rose '06...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 am

Another wine from BobSherwood's stash I thought would be dead&gone:
1. SQN Autrement Dit Calif Rose Wine (15.6%; Grenache) Elaine&Manfred Krankl/Ventura 2006: Med.light red/garnet color; bit alcoholic some earthydusty some strawberry/Grenache bit Alpine/loamy/rustic slight metallic nose; somewhat tart/tangy/metallic bit alcoholic/hot rather strawberry/Grenache earthy rather interesting flavor w/ light tangy/bitey tannins; very long rather tart/angular/hard bit alcoholic/fumey fairly strong Grenache/strawberry finish w/ light rough/bitey tannins; hardly what you'd call a rose but actually a rather interesting light-weight red wine; probably only going to get harsher on the palate as the Grenache fruit continues to fade. $nc (MS)
1. I really wanted to hate this wine because of the alcohol and...well...it's SQN...a cult wine. Haters gotta hate. The wine has been described as a hot/alcoholic mess..."lighter fluid". Perhaps as a rose...yes. But I had it as a light red and found some interesting things in it. Speaks strongly of Grenache. But it had a bit of a coarse/rustic/Alpine quality to it. The alcohol was noticible, but not particularly overwhelming...not like an Alban, say. Certainly not a wine I would seek out and not worth the $150-$250 price it commands. But certainly not undrinkable and with the spicy Shepard's Pie...not so bad a match.
Tom