The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mature Bonny Doon and Marsanne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Mature Bonny Doon and Marsanne

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 29, 2018 10:55 am

2012 Preston Family Marsanne

A very nice maturing Marsanne, with a touch of phenolic character-just a touch. Apple and spice. Quite nice.

2008 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Volante.

I always love this wine, which, along with his various Syrahs, is my favorite BD bottling. Lovely black cherry fruit, with licorice and warm earth tones. Tannins appear to be resolved, but there is enough fruit and acid. Delicious stuff, to be honest!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Preston...

by TomHill » Tue May 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2012 Preston Family Marsanne
A very nice maturing Marsanne, with a touch of phenolic character-just a touch. Apple and spice. Quite nice.

2008 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Volante.
I always love this wine, which, along with his various Syrahs, is my favorite BD bottling. Lovely black cherry fruit, with licorice and warm earth tones. Tannins appear to be resolved, but there is enough fruit and acid. Delicious stuff, to be honest!

Brian,
At one time Lou made some of the best wines in the DryCreekVlly. The last two times I've done a visit
there to taste, I've found the wines quite pleasant, but just that. Not what they used to be. But...man...
you can't go wrong w/ his bread. Highlight of my visits there.

The BD Cigare is, indeed, one of Randall's best wines, along w/ his Syrahs. Did I mention that I'd followed it
from the very start?? :-) If you look real closely, you can see me there on the label, at the helm of the Zeppelin in
the skies above Chateauneuf!!
I've not yet tried his CV bonbonne yet.
Tom