The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another batch of Miscellany

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Another batch of Miscellany

by Jenise » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:21 pm

2014 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Monopole Blanco Clasico Viura, Macabeo
Lots of swampy nastiness here, unrecognizable as the wine I loved and was willing to pay almost $30 for a year ago. Probably a flawed bottle.

2014 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Monopole Blanco Viura, Macabeo
Meanwhile, back at the $11 level, this wine went through a stretch where bottles tasted like gasoline, but everything's back in form now and it tastes like it did on release, but fuller. Nice.

2010 Pierre Amadieu Vinsobres Les Piallats Red Rhone Blend
A cellar orphan, no idea how or where I got it. Aromatics lean toward green; saturated red fruit on the palate that could use a touch more acid. Tastes mostly of syrah, and the texture's rustic. Not compelling. Next day, slightly pruney. Drink up.

2013 Phelps Creek Vineyards Pinot Noir Columbia Gorge
Light and tight on first opening, but second day the whole thing showed up with earth, spice and the flavors of a maturing Burgundy we wish for in American pinots and so rarely get.

2012 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay Napa Valley
An American Chablis in peak form. Fantastic.

2016 Mauro Sebaste Roero Arneis
A classy quaffer. Medium plus body, sunny flavors. Would buy again.

1988 Robert Keenan Winery Merlot Napa Valley
OTH.

2010 Saviah Cellars Syrah The Funk Walla Walla Valley

Still young, needs another 3-5 years, but this ultra premium bottling shows why everyone in Washington is still hopeful about syrah. Excellent.

2011 M. Chapoutier Shiraz Tournon Mathilda Victoria
Tim opened a bottle of this 4 years ago where it was merely okay. This is either a bad bottle or the wine just didn't last--either way, yuck.

2013 Poggio la Noce Paonazzo Toscana IGT Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
Bewitching. A complex, structured Toscano Rosso that presents like a top Bordeaux blend. Very impressed.

2013 Domaine Philippe Charlopin Gevrey-Chambertin Les Terres Blanches Pinot Noir
Med-light red, not showing much except dryness. Needs more time.

2011 Domaine Rolet Arbois Tradition Rouge Red Blend, Jura
Odd, pale red, no substance, no 'there' there. Eh.

2010 Mas Martinet Priorat Clos Martinet Red Blend
Erik's. Thumbs up, way up. Very Bordeauxish despite 45% Grenache with a lot of flesh and body. Outstanding.

2017 Savage Grace Wines Cabernet Franc Copeland Vineyard Rattlesnake Hills
There was something weirdly off about this bottle. Jammy nose and grapey, stewy, like people have been stuffing things in the garbage disposal and not running it. I'm calling it flawed.

2015 Wollersheim Winery Carignan, Wisconsin
So it's Open Table night with the Dorks and I've just brought this home in my suitcase. It was purchased off a supermarket shelf and chosen solely because it was the highest priced local wine, about $20. Light but decent fruit, somewhat herbal, not reminiscent of the grape as we know it but as wine entirely credible and a fun blind tasting surprise.

2015 Schloss Lieser Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett Mosel Saar Ruwer
Wet slate, full spectrum flower arrangement, tangy white fruit. Classic Mosel Reisling.

2015 Domaine du Banneret Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Secret Clairette Blanche
Tim's. Curry leaf, clay-ey, contains roussanne but drinks like an aged Sauv Blanc, tons of white pepper. Might be the first all- or mostly-all clairette I've ever had. Good.

2009 Selbach-Oster Pinot Blanc Mosel Saar Ruwer
Diesel, white fruit and flowers. Good concentration, obviously German. Outstanding.

2016 Cinder Viognier Dry Snake River Valley
My wine. Guesses started at muscat and gewurz and meandered all over the planet from there. Sweet floral and spice nose and the very dry palate disguised the viognier. Lots of body, more Alsace than what anybody at this table thinks of as Idaho--intriguing, everybody loves it.

2016 Hedges Family Estate Descendants' Le Blanc Red Mountain White Rhone Blend
Interesting blend, and good. The viognier adds complexity to the marsanne without adding that old-lady-perfume weight to the wine that ripe viognier up here tends to be.

2010 Laurent Tribut Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy Chardonnay
Crushed seashell, grapefruit and sun-dried kelp, grand cru density; as WST said everything I love about Chablis was in this glass.

2016 Angol d'Amig Biancho Baschieri Vino da Tavola Pignoletto
Tastes like dry apple cider, the one they call a 'Scrumpy'. Unfiltered appearance. Overall: weird.

2016 Navarro Rose of Pinot Noir, Mendocino
Every bottle just gets better. Lovely blend of cranberry and strawberry fruit with a lifted floral nose and perfect acidity. Avoided last bottle blues by ordering another case today. No withdrawal!

2012 Hyland Estates Pinot Noir McMinnville
At Jim and Mary's. Good plummy Oregon fruit with earth and spice, nicely softened by bottle age. Drinking perfectly right now, no decant needed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov