The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rollin, Bedrock, Marcarini, Keller, Terre Nere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rollin, Bedrock, Marcarini, Keller, Terre Nere

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Thursday we had hot dogs on the patio, with the 2016 Keller “Von Der Fels” Riesling Trocken.
Dry but with sweet pit fruits, ginger, wet rocks. Good acids, crisp. B+

Some lovely days and before dinner a few nights we sat on front porch. The 2016 Terre Nere Etna Bianco had ripe peach fruit, a little waxy note, but not enough acid to stay lively. Have liked more in past vintages. C+/B-

With yakitori chicken, rice with nori, bok choy in oyster sauce the 1998 Macarini “La Serra” Barolo. I had this standing up as a backup for a tasting couple weeks ago, rather than return to racks just opened and decanted it. Took a while to get its stride. Red fruit, violets, a little funky edge that veered between barnyard and truffle. Got some tar after a while. With a couple hours air this was quite lovely, balanced young Nebbiolo with a long finish. A-/B+

Saturday I hit the butcher for a couple of 30 day dry aged rib steaks, grilled and served over herb salad with horseradish/caper dressing. That recipe was suggested as a Petite Sirah pairing, but I felt like young Burgundy. I was a little worried the 2010 Rollin “Ile des Vergelesses” Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru might be closed, but it was lively and approachable, Rich raspberry and cranberry fruit, earth, smoke. There’s some tannin but not aggressive. Good acids, long finish. I should buy more Rollin. B+/A-

Sunday some scallops from our local farmers market, rapini and Swiss chard from CSA, pasta with pesto and the 2009 Bedrock “Caritas” . This is a Bdx blend (60 Sem/40 SB). Full and rich, but overoaked. This is my last one, I kept hoping for better integration, but not yet. C+/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rollin, Bedrock, Marcarini, Keller, Terre Nere

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I read all the positive notes on CT about the Bedrock white wines, but every time I have one I am left with “meh.”

Love the Heritage blends though.
Decisions are made by those who show up