The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Grandma Slut-Shaming

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Grandma Slut-Shaming

by Jenise » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

This was actually a tasting of Rieslings by the Dorks of York. Really fun night, at which at some point conversation got reduced to what someone called grandma slut-shaming and I have no idea why--but really, it made perfect sense at the time and was absolutely hilarious. All wines served blind.

1995 Punters Corner Riesling Coonawarra
Mine. Deep orange-y gold, age of 20+ years obvious, good acidity with flavors of the pineapple sauce they put on sundae's, salt and Lemon Pledge. This has been in my cellar forever and I took it only as a curiosity--very surprised that it was actually quite likable and that's why I trotted it out first. Last and only bottle on CT, now gone: do I get a prize?

2015 Pewsey Vale Vineyard Riesling Eden Valley
So Doran grabs this. I picked up on it immediately as a dry Aussie (and in fact a Pewsey Vale) with lemon-lime, white flowers, and light diesel development. Very, very good.

2007 Château d'Orschwihr Riesling Kitterlé Alsace Grand Cru
Mark's. Great acidity and complexity with exceptional minerality and the kind of depth/body that steered us toward Alsace. Apparently currently on close-out for $15--I ordered a few.

2013 Obelisco Estate Riesling Columbia Valley
Decided to get my WA entry out of the way before the Germans come. Has the nose of chenin blanc. Starts out soft, finishes with bright acid, and in between are lemon-lime notes with lime leaf and a touch of lemon grass buoyed by substantial minerality. Dry, and especially because of the minerality, would be great with food under other circumstances but all by itself it doesn't make the case for Washington riesling.

2008 Long Shadows Wineries Riesling Poet's Leap Columbia Valley
So Tim pulls this one out, convinced it will trounce the Obelisco all to hell. It doesn't. Smells like riesling but doesn't taste like it. The sweetness owns the palate and comes across direct like simple syrup, not fruit.

2015 Teutonic Wine Company Jazz Odyssey Wasson Vineyard Willamette Valley Riesling Blend
I retaliate with this. No idea what to expect, it came in a shipment and I haven't had it before. Flatter nose than palate, that it's a blend is noticeable. Very new world; tastes like a margarita. Love Teutonic's stuff but would not re-order this one.

2015 Côte Bonneville Riesling DuBrul Vineyard Yakima Valley
Then Doran puts this one in play. German spatlese, sure, uh huh, had to be, we were all absolutely sure of it. But wow, Washington! Focused acidity and deliciously spicy with a white floral note that reminded me of a Hawaiian Ginger perfume I loved as a kid. A gem.

2016 Selbach Saar Riesling Spätlese Mosel Saar Ruwer
Tired of the new world, Gabe tries to put us on the path to righteousness. Strange bottle with a label on front that contained absolutely nothing but a decorative edge BUT, quite good. I took no other notes.

2013 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Wachenheimer Altenburg Riesling Trocken PC Pfalz
Ben, a first-timer, finally gets the rhythm and tosses this one into the mix. "Hard rock" minerality, oyster shells, light background fruit, "needs 15 more years" said one. In general, not a winner for most of the group (oh you shameless slaves of sugar!) but I just loved it. Dry? Bring it ON! This might have been where the grandma slut-shaming started.

2015 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spätlese Mosel Saar Ruwer
Funky nose that did not prepare us for the shocking sweetness on the palate, sappy/good though with racy notes of bread and butter pickles and a crisp, clean finish. Excellent.

2007 Dr. F. Weins-Prüm Erdener Prälat Riesling Spätlese Mosel Saar Ruwer
Okay, I can play this game, I have a German. Nose: Coconut! Dill! Pine needle! American oak! (Not really, but if this were an American wine it's the first thing you'd assume.) Apple and corn on the cob follow follow on the palate. No one liked. And I'm embarrassed on the reveal--I thought I had pulled a JJ Prum.

2014 Wild Type Riesling Dry Handprint Vineyards Yakima Valley
Mark's. This may have been unduly punished for following a German spatlese, but the chamomile notes seemed odd for riesling and the bitter finish didn't make any friends. Both Mark and Ben, both of whom rep it, hotly defend it as a better wine than we think. This is the point at which we decided we should have separated the dries from the sweets at the outset.

2014 Reichsrat Von Buhl Riesling Kabinett Armand Pfalz
Beautifully proportioned, exceptionally bright and detailed. Group had trouble deciding whether it was a particularly sweet kabinett or a drier spatlese. Either way, a winner.

2015 Albert Boxler Riesling Sommerberg Alsace Grand Cru
Bitter flavors on entry, and egads, is it hot. Alcohol in the high 14's. Odd on every level.

2015 Ovum Riesling Off the Grid Cedar Ranch Vineyard Oregon
Ben's. Like listening to the radio with the sound turned too low, this came across as not having any specific deficit so much as needing a little more of everything. "Kind of flat", my notes say. Wonder if it was just sleeping--it should have been refreshing after the Boxler, but wasn't. Recent notes on CT are more complimentary.

1999 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Catherine Alsace Grand Cru
A gift from a customer to Tim. Very rich upfront, loses grip toward the finish. Overall impression is heavy and plodding with a cloying finish. I'm reminded that this is what the first Alsatians I tasted long ago were like, and why I was convinced for years I didn't like Alsatian wines. Again, probably just a bottle issue, recent notes on CT are more favorable.

1990 Schloss Schönborn Hochheimer Hölle Riesling Auslese Rheingau
My wine: Bright, apricot jam, honeysuckle, tangerine, creme brulee, cocoa butter and brilliant acidity. Good finale.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Grandma Slut-Shaming

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Is this the order the wines were served, or the order you tasted them?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Both. This group doesn't designate any order. Someone just puts out a wine and things roll from there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Oof.

I can see why some things showed oddly.

That being said, the 1999 Weinbach has always been a thick, dull wine. The 1998 and 2000 versions of the same wine were completely different.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Oof.

I can see why some things showed oddly.

That being said, the 1999 Weinbach has always been a thick, dull wine. The 1998 and 2000 versions of the same wine were completely different.

Yeah, we weren't wise. Otherwise, the impromptu-ness usually works well for us--zero expectations about what's in your glass.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Is this the order the wines were served, or the order you tasted them?

That was my first reaction as well!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Is this the order the wines were served, or the order you tasted them?

That was my first reaction as well!

Me too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:26 am

I might add that three of the wines arrived about 45 minutes late which further upset the apple cart.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Clearly not German wines! :wink: