The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rioja, Austrian pink, MSR, corked bubbly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rioja, Austrian pink, MSR, corked bubbly

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Betsy made fish tacos, opened the 2015 Vollenweider “Wolfer Goldgrube” Riesling Kabinett. Rich but balanced by bright acids, moderate sweetness, peach and green apple. Gets limey with air. Wet rocks and oyster shell (?) on finish. B+

Some old friends were in town for a wedding, we traveled down to Riverdale for dinner at mutual friends. I brought the appetizers- fileto (cured tenderloin), pasthourma, and smoked lard/pickle canapes.

NV Mionetto Prosecco
Never a fan of this, but this was my first corked bottle of Prosecco in memory, no one else seemed to notice so why say anything. NR

Dinner was grilled pork marinated in orange, lemon and rosemary, pasta with a fresh tomato and almond/ basil sauce and a celery and fennel salad. All delicious

2012 CVNE “Imperial” Rioja Reserve
Fuller riper vintage of Imperial, black cherry with some vanillin oak and a anise edge. Some tannic structure, good but a bit much for the pork. Enjoyed by itself later. B+

2017 Gobelsburg Cistercien rose
Watermelon and cherries, very popular, I thought a little less zip than other vintages, but that might have just been because it was a bit too warm. B?

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Rioja, Austrian pink, MSR, corked bubbly

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy made fish tacos, opened the 2015 Vollenweider “Wolfer Goldgrube” Riesling Kabinett. Rich but balanced by bright acids, moderate sweetness, peach and green apple. Gets limey with air. Wet rocks and oyster shell (?) on finish. B+

Sounds good. Thanks for the reminder of Vollenweider.

Dale Williams wrote:...my first corked bottle of Prosecco in memory, no one else seemed to notice so why say anything..

We've all been there. I react differently depending on the setting, but generally the larger the party (as in your case), the less likely I am to say anything.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 pm

I bought a case of 2012 Vollenweider Kabinett, and have seen nothing since then.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:We've all been there. I react differently depending on the setting, but generally the larger the party (as in your case), the less likely I am to say anything.

This was all non-geeks, most of bottle was poured in first go round, didn't seem any point in saying "that wine you just drunk was flawed" If I had been first one whose glass was poured and noticed immediately might have regarded as a teaching moment, but even then might have skipped.

David M. Bueker wrote:I bought a case of 2012 Vollenweider Kabinett, and have seen nothing since then.

I didn't see any 2013 or 2014 that I recall, but with '15 and '16 seems to be back in NY market- CHambers, Grapes/Posner, PJs, Flatiron have all featured.