The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: One day, one grape, two bottles, two expressions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: One day, one grape, two bottles, two expressions

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Lunch at Carré des Feuillants with Claude K. and we decided to go for the 1949 Monthelie. Not expecting complexity, but for mere mortals like myself (and I believe Claude qualifies too), it is not too often that 1949 Burgundy comes into the glass. This one was surprisingly robust and dark (at least for my expectations), and still hearty(ish) and frank in the mouth. But of course also showing plenty of signs of age with the soy, rust, and bark notes. Far from a mind-blowing wine, but we had fun with it.

Dinner at the apartment with 2007 Louis Boillot Gevrey-Chambertin Cherbaudes. What a contrast to the Matrot. Such pretty and soaring Burg-berry aromatics, so fine in the nostrils, and on the palate. So fine that it is almost an elegant whisper of a wine fleeting across the palate and making me wonder how it could age any further. But then other sips show the young juiciness or the fine-grained tannin structure. This was fun too.

Gotta' love wine.
Last edited by Rahsaan on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: One day, one grape, two bottles, two expressions

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:17 pm

That does sound fun.
Decisions are made by those who show up