The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly New Zealand

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Mostly New Zealand

by Jenise » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:58 am

2014 Conn Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Sori Bricco Diamond Mountain
Lots of sweet black fruit, cedar and dust. Bits of violet on the nose. Balanced and forthright with elegance to come from future cellaring.

2013 Ross Andrew Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Red Mountain
PnP last night at a late night after-party so wasn't exactly taking notes, but it showed extremely well; secondary nuances are just starting to show amid the dark fruits and graphite. A very classic style that shows what WA is capable of. Still think that 2020 will be the start of prime time.

2012 Duckhorn Wine Company Cabernet Sauvignon Canvasback Red Mountain
Better than the bottle we opened last week, much better--more balance and depth of flavor. But the inconsistency between the two is concerning.

2016 Jules Taylor Pinot Gris Marlborough
Americans need to drink this in order to remind themselves that pinot gris/grigio doesn't have to be simple, underflavored, barfly wine.

2016 Dog Point Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
Excellent cut, as usual. Fine acidity with notes of white grapefruit, kaffir lime, cut grass and gooseberry. Why Dog Point is one my repeat buys.

2016 Chasing Venus Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough
Fleshy, not as finessed at last year's. Tropical, almost jammy, next to the Dog Point.

2014 Innocent Bystander Pinot Noir Central Otago
Another excellent value from New Zealand--you can't buy this kind of quality in American pinot for under $20. Costco currently has the 2015.

2014 Peter Yealands Pinot Noir Marlborough
Piercing raspberry fruit, complex spice, good body. Surprisingly great value: cheap price ($18), but not at all cheap on the palate.

2015 Craggy Range Chardonnay Single Vineyard Kidnappers Vineyard Hawkes Bay
Elegant and fairly French/Burgundian in style with balanced fruit and a flinty minerality. Tastes much more expensive than the $20 I paid.

2015 Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Extra Brut - Lightly Sparkling Marlborough
Whoa! Who said they could do this? Very engaging, especially for $11. Dusty fruit with green bell pepper, more Aussie in flavor than NZ.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Mostly New Zealand

by John S » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Craggy Range and Dog Point are definitely higher quality producers than your average NZ wineries widely distributed here. I liked the Craggy Range chardonnay as well - it was available here briefly at a good price after the last Vancouver wine festival and I went through a couple of bottles very quickly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:44 pm

I can appreciate that! I def want more of the CR and would have already ordered a case if only I wasn't a bit too long still on 12-14 vintage chardonnays that I should probably get around to instead.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:02 am

Jammy SB..ouch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Jammy SB..ouch.

Yeah, I was quite surprised. The prior vintage was a lot more cut. Perhaps, with a name like Chasing Venus, I should assume that this vintage is more typical. :)