The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Harrington Freisa SkowVnyd '17....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Harrington Freisa SkowVnyd '17....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:05 am

Shared this with John ystrday:
1. Harrington Freisa SkowVnyd/SanBenitoCnty (13.2%; www.HarringtonWines.com) 2017: Med.dark color; strong very floral/perfumed/lilacs/violets/Nebb-like light alpine strawberry rather spicy slight earthy/dusty lovely aromatic nose; quite tart/tangy slight metallic strong floral/lilacs/violets/Nebb-like slight strawberry somewhat rich flavor w/ some hard/brittle tannins; very long quite tart/tang/bit metallic strong floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets bit earthy/dusty rather hard/bitey finish w/ some hard/chewey tannins; lovely aromatics but rather hard on the palate. $25.00
bright/strawberry/Freisa/spicy some earthy much more perfumey more complex nose; lightly tart some earthy
strong Freisa/strawberry/spicy bit Italianate/Nebb/lilacs flavor w/ some hard/bitey tannins; very long
strong spicy/strawberry/Freisa light earthy/dusty some Nebb/lilacs w/ modest crunchy/brittle tannins; dry
and no frizzante; very Italianate in style rather than a Calif tutti-frutti version of Freisa; some like a
good Langhe Nebb but more aromatics; needs several yrs; quite an interesting Freisa at a great price.

Doesn't seemed to have budged much in the intervening time.
block rises up slowly to the east to a steep cliff and has many exposed large rounded limestone rocks. Nebbiolo
is growing next to the Freisa. Also grown in this vineyard is Montepulciano, Aglianico and Greco di Tufo.
It's in a kind of box canyon so a little warmer than my other San Benito sites. I am making the Nebbiolo from the
vineyard also but it is going to one of my custom crush clients. As for the Freisa, fifteen year old
Cabernet Sauvignon vines were T-budded over to Freisa two years ago. 2016 was the first Freisa harvest.
Seems to be a great site for the grape".
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Harrington Freisa SkowVnyd '17....(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Cabernet Sauvignon, T-budded to Freisa! First time I've heard that! Made my day, Tom :P
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Even Better..

by TomHill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Cabernet Sauvignon, T-budded to Freisa! First time I've heard that! Made my day, Tom :P

Even better if it were Merlot T-budded to Freisa!!
See you Thurs at BayWolf.
Tom