The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Summer (almost) weekend wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Summer (almost) weekend wines

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Friday we had the first of our “New Kitchen Thank You” dinner- 3 couple who had us over during construction (and helped Betsy pack up before demo). Cooking wine for the duck sauce was the
2015 Mannucci Droandi Chianti Colli Aretini. A little tannin, medium acids, black cherry and a little forest floor. B

We started on patio with:
Pasthourma and fileto
Smoked lard/pickle canapes
Ron’s home smoked salmon

NV Jose Dhondt “Mes Vieilles Vignes” Blanc de Blanc Champagne

Hugely popular. Green apple and citrus, just baked brioche, chalky finish. A-/B+

2017 Bart Marsannay Rose
Red cherries, citrus zest, a little herbs. This is nice! B+

First sitdown was Mexican lobster (well, I steamed/picked 2 lobsters, tossed with chipotle mayo and pico de gallo Betsy had made for our fish tacos Wed)

2007 Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet

Pear and hazelnut, a little lemon, good finish. Nice wine, a pointe, but maybe not best match. B+

2004 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling
I had thought I’d brought up the ‘01, only realized mistake after opening. Better than the white Burg with lobster, but not my favorite CFE, seems to lack a little zip. B/B-

Main was duck breast with a red wine sauce, on duck fat polenta with a salad with green goddess dressing

1993 Drouhin Volnay-Chevret 1er

Doesn’t actually say 1er on label, but I think when hyphenated with type same size as vintage understood. Light (12% on label), bright acids, raspberry and cranberry with lots of earth and fallen leaves. Great with duck, nice long finish. A-/B+

2005 Dominique Laurent Cote de Nuits Villages Vieilles Vignes

Cheap from PC back in the day. Full red fruits, some tannin, not especially oaky but kind of generic PN. Others liked more B-

2007 Bize “Aux Guettes” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er

Another ‘07 drinking nicely. Black cherry, coffee, a little smoke, long and nicely balanced. B+/A-

2000 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Auslese (375)
Good acid for a 2000, white cherry and green tea, moderate sweetness, surprising length. Overachiever for the vintage. B+

Saturday I was home alone, with leftover duck and greens and the 2013 Ziereisen Schulen Spatburgunder. Cranberry and red cherry, lots of green herbs, fresh and fun. B

Sunday was a scorcher, but humidity was low, so in the shade not too bad. Good thing because I was at a garden party (HS grad). Charcuterie, antipasto, corn salad, cuke salad, skirt steak, and clams. Also some ribs but I managed to miss both trays coming out.

2017 Saint Roch (Loire)

Very light, with a tiny funky note that made me wonder if Grolleau, but Fred says 100% Gamay.
Best think is it’s cold on a hot day. B-

2017 Juliette rose
(not sure if that is brand or producer)
I think this was CdProvence, but unsure. Soft, red fruits, dull rose. C+

2013 Perrin Cotes du Rhone Reserve

I was pleasantly surprised, pretty decent GSM (I assume). Red fruits, herbs, a little plump. B-/B

When I got home and walked dog, wanted another glass. Wanted something cold, so opened the 2016 Sainte Barbe "la Perriere" Vire-Clesse. Full with good acids, pear fruit and wet rocks. Just a little vanilla/toast, good length. Great deal on closeout under $20. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Summer (almost) weekend wines

by Mark S » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 pm

I cannot imagine smoking lard makes it any more palatable. Yeech.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Summer (almost) weekend wines

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:44 pm

I have to say, I stared at the local charcuterie's smoked lard for 6 months before I finally said "well it's the one thing I've not tried here"
A small jar (what rilletes typically come in, maybe a half-cup?). $8, well spent. I used for appetizers at 4 dinner parties (a little goes a long way), I'd guess 45-50 canapes total. A small slice of good baguette (rice cracker for a couple of gluten-avoiders), a thin smear of the lard, a thin slice of half or whole sour pickle. Lots of people sceptical of the description, think everyone liked. It's like butter with essence of bacon. If you find yourself in lower Hudson , I'll get some for you to try - with a good Champagne. Just take one small bite