The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Ch. Pape Clement Rouge and 2004 Ch. Pique Caillou

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

WTN: 1996 Ch. Pape Clement Rouge and 2004 Ch. Pique Caillou

by R Cabrera » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:24 am

2004 Ch. Pique Caillou, Pessac-Leognan

Very tannic, but after an hour on the glass, the middle turned quite silky. We weren’t able to finish the bottle and I transferred the remainder into a screw-cap half bottle for safe-keeping in my home unit. The greenish finish that I experienced at the finish on the first night was more evident on the second day. B-

1996 Ch. Pape Clement Rouge, Pessac Leognan

With the bottle left opened for an hour-and-a-half before consuming with a dry-aged NY strip loin, this black ruby and almost opaque wine had a nice nose of pencil, black fruit and some flint.

Tannin still abounds, although not overly harsh, it dominated the middle and the finish. There are some primary fruit that’s showing now. I’m also noticing some green stuff at the finish. Perhaps, I drank this one young, but, imho it begs the question as to whether primary fruit will still be available and overcome the tannin in the near future. I give this a B right now, with a near-term aging potential to make it just a slightly higher rating, tops, but a flat to lower rating appears to be more of the likelihood. B
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1996 Ch. Pape Clement Rouge and 2004 Ch. Pique Caillou

by Jenise » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:00 am

Not a great report on the Pape. RE the Pique, I would have expected the fruit to close up on the 2nd day (and seem greener), then have everything come together and show better on a third or fourth day. Did any survive for that test?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2004 Pique Cailllou
There were only about 3 normal glass pours left for day 2. After pours 1.5, I decided to put the wine out of it's misery (and myself out of my misery) and poured the rest into my wife's home-made vinegar aging container.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm

Good post, just to mention I am going to an aged Bordeaux tasting tonite. Will post notes asap.
I contributed the 88 Leoville-Barton as well as the Beychevelle. No Picque sorry!