The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Heatwave w/SB, Melon, Chenin Blanc, roses, '00 Bdx

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN Heatwave w/SB, Melon, Chenin Blanc, roses, '00 Bdx

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Friday we went to a wake and then home to grilled scallops & squash, with arugula salad and a couple of wines

2017 Underground Project” And why am I Mr. Pink”

Dry strawberry fruit, modest acids, very light bodied. B-

2010 Boulay “Clos de Beaujeu” Sancerre
Full but with racy acids. Grapefruit, orange zest, herbs. Long chalky finish. Delicious. A-

Saturday we went to friends’ home for a dinner (long planned, but with addition of some old friends who were in town for the wake). Nice starters of guacamole and garlic scape bean dip, followed by a Cajun shrimp boil (corn, andouille, etc) plus salad, biscuits, and more

2016 Simi Sauvignon Blanc
Grass and straw, a little melon, moderate acids. B-/C+

2014 Grands Presbyteres Muscadet
(Brought as hostess is a Presbyterian minister). Midbodied, green apple and oyster shell, good length, no Pepiere but satisfying B

2017 Tire La Bobinette rose
VdF. Alex tries to explain wolf on label, apparently something like the 3 little pigs story. Strawberry, some citrus peel, nice flavor profile but a little acid deficient for my tastes. B-/B

I carried a 2000 d’Aiguilhe as well, but no one felt like red

Sunday we mostly avoided heating kitchen, most of meal on grill, and I even set up sous vide outside as I didn’t want a couple gallons of 183 degree water sitting around for an hour while AC cranking (Betsy did boil pasta water and wilt greens)

Grilled clams with fried garlic
2016 Roche Bleue “ L'Oree de la Berterie” Coteaux du Loir
Very tasty sec Chenin. Really electric acids, pear with nuts and wool, good finish. B++

Then culotte steak with a basil vinaigrette, spaghetti with radish leaf pesto, swiss chard, and sous vide carrots
2000 Epicurea de Ch. Martinat
Lots of sediment. I was worried that I had held this too long, but plenty of cassis and black plum fruit left. Lots of mocha/cocoa notes, lower acid, tannins resolved. OK in a modern RB style, but I can’t say that 15 or so years in cellar has added any complexity. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.