The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two More @ Dinner....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two More @ Dinner....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:27 am

Not a very good night winewise:
1. Heger Gemischter Schatz Baden (54% Rivaner/24% SauvBlanc/11% Chard/8% Riesling/3% Weissburgunder; A.P.Nr. 902-02-17; 12%; www.SchatziWines.com) Joachim Heger/Ihringen/Germany 2016: Screw top pops, lots of small bubbles when poured that agglomerate around the edge/dissolved CO2?; med.gold color; somewhat floral/R-like/pineapple/mango light earthy/chalky pleasant nose; bit soft some spritzy/dissolved CO2 lightly floral/pineapple/R-like slight earthy rather vapid/dull flavor; med.short bit spritzy/dissolved CO2 vaguely floral/R-like/pineapple slight earthy/dull/vapid finish; a rather bland/dull/innocuous white robbed of any character on the palate by the ersatz acidity of dissolved CO2. $18.00 (BayGrape)
2. RoutaStock CabSauv NapaVlly Route29 (14%; www.RouteStock.com; WilsonDanielsSlctn; 16% Merlot/2% PetiteVerdot/1% CabFranc/1% Malbec) V&B by RouteStock/Napa 2014: Dark color; strong blackcurranty/Cab/bit chocolaty/ripe some toasty/oak classic ripe NapaVlly Cab nose; rather soft ripe/lush/rich/NapaVllyCab/blackcurranty/bit chocolaty flavor w/ light smooth/ripe tannins; very long ripe/blackcurranty/NapaVllyCab/chocolaty soft/ripe/lush/fat light toasty/oak finish w/ light ripe/soft/plush tannins; an altogether pleasant/quotidian ripe NapaVlly Cab and not very interesting. $16.00 (PrimaIlC)
1. Heger: GS was originally a genre that was made up of field blends from old vnyds around Wien. It has since then broadened to include other areas of Austria made up of field blends (perhaps not?), not necessarily of old vnyds. My sense it now just identifies various white blends in Austria.
MattRorick/Forlorn-Hope makes a GS, but I'd never done-did see'd a GS from Germany, so I wanted to try it. Nothing very special. Apparently, the Wien GS association is not very aggressive in defending the GS term.
2. RouteStock: This is some unknown wnry or blender in the NapaVlly who makes wines from grapes along famous wine routes around the world. No idea who the winemaker is. Not inclined to try any other of their wines. This was a decent enough wine when you just have to scratch the Cabernet itch. That itch is generally down in my nether regions and is seldom scratched.
Tom