The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tasting Italian w/ Sam/Idlewild...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Tasting Italian w/ Sam/Idlewild...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:28 am

Tasting With SamBilbro/Idlewild (6/26/18)
We tasted at the Idlewild tasting room some Italians:
1. Bovari Derthona DOC: ColliTortonesi Timorasso (14%) 2015: Light gold color; very fragrant almost Viog-like
perfumey bit spicy lovely nose; lightly tart/tangy very floral/bright Timo almost Viog-like lovely perfumey
flavor; very long/lingering floral/Timo finish; a lovely expression of Derthona Timo.
strong floral/R-like/peach slight phenolic finish; seems to have a slight skin-contact (their web site suggests
not) but plenty of aromatic Timorasso fruit.
slight nutty/aged some phenolic/resiny finish; dominated by the skin-contact phenolics but some fragrant Timo
peeks thru. $15.00
lush/ripe finish; lots of ripeness but loads of floral/Timo fruit. $48.00
lingering intense Timo/floral/peach/Rlike/spicy rather complex finish; the most intense Timo yet; almost
essence of Timo.
finish w/ bit tannic bite; quite an interesting RG but not totally dominated by the phenolic character; very
savory/saline white that needs food; should age well.
attractive Freisa aromatics but the Nebb character comes thru pretty hard on the palate; needs some age.
hard finish; lovely Freisa aromatics but a bit hard on the palate.
lingering soft/rich/lush strong violets/lilacs/floral/Nebb bit earthy/dusty finish w/ modest hard tannins;
lots of bass notes for Nebb; a rather exotic expression of Nebb. $28.00 (WM)
Refosco finish; a lovely expression of Terrano that still needs a few more yrs.
slight appley/fruit pungent/earthy/tobaccoy savory/saline finish; the TCA is faint in the nose but probably
has compromised the rest of the wine.
grapey slight earthy rather complex perfumed nose; slightly tart quite sweet passito/grapey/honeyed/honeycomb/
orangey very lush/ripe complex flavor; very long/linger passito/grapey/orangey/honeyed quite sweet finish
that goes on & on; a beautiful dessert passito. $74.00/500 ml
yet had time to try them, I suggested we put together a tasting when I was out there for NEB#8, which he
thought was a fine idea. Joining us was RyanGlaab/RymeCllrs, Tom DeBiase, tasting room manager Sharia, and
Alex Hill. Dropping in during the Charlie Musslewhite concert down on the square was long time friend from
SantaFe, Josie Goldsmith. Alex works at UntiVnyds and we've tasted together in their tasting room and he's
shipped numerous orders to me. He is very knowledgeable (understandable at Unti) on Italian wines, so I
invited him to join us when I was out at Unti several days before. Tom I'd known some yrs ago at HdR and
on the WineBerserkers board. Tom's son, Thomas, has recently come on board at Idlewild to help in the tasting
room and become sort of a ChrisCottrell at Idlewild. Alas, a wreck on the 101 prevented him from joining us.
Timorasso. These five Timorassos were all right up there with his.
The Bovari was pretty straightforward Timo, but still quite lovely. The Baricchi was quite interesting/complex
but the Timo fruit a bit beaten down by the skin-contact; The Coppi was probably the most varietally correct of
the Timo and quite lovely.
The laColombera was probably the best of the Timos. This IlMontino is their special/single vnyd Timo. They
also produce a Derthona Timo that doesn't nearly measure up to this version. They make a wide range of wines,
including reds from Barbera, Croatina, Cortese and Nibio grapes. I would love to try their complete lineup.
A pretty incredible collection of Timorassos. When FPS releases the Timo from quarantine, Sam is supposed to
get a first shot at cuttings. He'll plant it in their YorkvilleHighlands vnyd and, in a few yrs, be making
world-class Timorasso. Trust me on that one.
Darrell pointed out at NEB#8 that there is no mention of Prunent in the Italian book of recognized varieties.
I was quite taken by this unique expression of Nebb, but Sam and the others were less impressed.
and not as special as I recall it being.
that cannot self-pollinate. I've tried some 15-20 Friuli Picolits over the yrs and the Ronchi Pietro is easily
the best I've had. Only the Vignalta Alpinae comes close to this passito wine.
Tom