The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4th of July- roses, whites, and 1 lone red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 4th of July- roses, whites, and 1 lone red

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am

Monday we went to Irvington for dinner. Kate and Thom had out cheese and salami, followed by vichyssoise, beet salad, a swiss chard tart, and tomato salad

2016 Karine Lauverjat Sancerre
Betsy’s niece is a Sancerre fan, brought this as consolation since her last night in Boston there was a car breakin and she lost laptop and passport. Happily she loved it. Crisp green apple with lemon and a little grass, snappy mineral finish. B+/B

2016 Artner Rose (Niederosterreich)
Cherry and strawberry, a little soft, a little thin. B-/C+

Tuesday we had lobster, corn, and salad. The 2014 Pepiere Clisson is so young, but still gives pleasure. Rich pit and citrus fruit, nice nervous tension, long stony finish. B+/A-

Wednesday the 4th was steamy, but a good crowd gathered in our backyard for a party (and then we headed toward’s river to watch fireworks from Lenore’s porch). We grilled ribs, sausages (boar, rabbit/pork/ginger), hot dogs, clams with fried garlic, lamb,& Cambodian style corn’ we also made guacamole, mango salsa, salad with snow peas, Others brought more sausages , pork belly bulgogi, a huge assortment of salads (rice pasta, larb, quinoa, green, beet, fruit and many more). There were burgers and more at Dave and Lenore’s but I was too full.

Roses
2017 Domaine de la Tour du Bon Bandol Rose
Delicate but with good finish, raspberry and strawberry with lots of floral notes. B++

2017 Ch. La Chapelle Gordonne Rose (Cotes du Provence)
Red berries, nectarine, moderate acids. B

2017 Underground Project ”And why am I Mr. Pink”
LIght, a little dilute, but clean flavors Dry strawberry fruit, modest acids, very light bodied. B-

2017 Meinklang 'Prosa'
I didn’t realize this was a bubbly till I tasted. Light and easy, sweet red fruit. B

Whites
2016 Pepiere Clos des Briords
Not a great vintage of Briords, but satisfying in a snappy acid kind of way, citrus and seashell. B+/B

2014 Grgich Hills Fume Blanc
Modest acids, melon fruit, a little vanillin oak but not overwhelming, a tad dull. B-/C+

2010 Thomas Labaillle “Les Monts Damnes” Sancerre
A recent winebid bottle, a bit more advanced than I wanted/expected, good acids, grapefruit and nectarine., but a touch of cider and not as long as I’d expect, bet mediocre storage. B

2016 Hofer Gruner Veltliner

Touch of spritz, light and zingy. B-

2016 Santa Rita “120” Sauvignon Blanc
Dilute, grassy, a little chemical edge, nasty stuff C-

Despite the heat in afternoon there was clamoring for a red, so I decanted the 1982 MastroJanni Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. Black plums, leather, a little barnyard. Definitely a little brett, but not overwhelming. Nice mature Sangiovese. B+/B

Nice way to spend the 4th. No great wines, but great people

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.