The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Think and Drink Pink

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Think and Drink Pink

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Did a new sort of event here – a Think and Drink Pink wine where everyone brought a bottle or three and a dish for the side table so we could munch and sip the afternoon away while sampling the range of excellent Rosé wines.

Vilmart Cuvée Rubis Brut – disgorged in 2009, this NV bubble was a great way to start. Lovely nose with some yeast and red berries, on palate starting with seemingly slightly high RS but that was quickly balanced by the acidity that cut in. Would be interesting to know what the RS actually is on this! 90% PN, 10% chard

2016 Chalice Estate Iris Vineyard Pinot Noir Rosé – this Oregon wine was fairly dark pink, indicating a longer soak time on the skins, was soft and smooth in the mouth and ended with some sweet peachy notes.

2017 Triennes Rosé – interesting story on this one – a joint venture between Burgundians, Dom. Dujac and Aubert de Villaine (DRC). Made mostly of cinsault with some Grenache, syrah and merlot added. Sweet cherry in the nose with some intriguing spice notes, picking up red apple with time in the glass. Smooth and crisp. Nice. Cinsault 62, Grenache 16, syrah 17, merlot 5

2016 Dom. Tempier Bandol Rosé – pale salmon colour, some heavier melon notes in the nose and lots of stuffing. Slightly ripe impression at the end. This opened up very nicely in the glass, just getting better.

2017 Proprietà Sperino Lessona Rosa del Rosa – this Italian entry was orangey pink with a leaner less sweet nose, with citrus and floral elements and a little peach. In the mouth it showed a higher acidity than the others. Made from nebbiolo and vespolina. Nice minerality.

2017 Gérard Bertrand Cote des Roses – Languedoc/Roussillon made from Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault. Pale pink with a slightly sweet soft nose, on palate inoffensive but undistinguished.

2015 Colin Morey Rosé de Pinot Noir - very delicate strawberry pinot nose, pale colour, good acidity on entry and a long smooth finish. Good.

2016 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel La Dame Rousse – a bright pink wine with good depth in the nose, showing strawberry and peach, which followed over on palate. It seemed slightly high in alcohol, but had a nice long soft finish. Developed some herbal notes with time in the glass. 60 grenache 20 cinsault 20 syrah

2017 Spearhead Pinot Noir Rosé – this BC wine was mid pink with a slightly candied sweet berry nose, fair balance but too much RS for me.

2016 Dom. St. Andrieu L’Oratoire Rosé – 38% Grenache 27% cinsault 19% syrah 17% rolle. This is owned by the owners of Ch. Talbot. Delicate nose with some grapefruit, pretty good stuffing, very dry finish and some pleasant minerality. Good.

2016 Idlewild The Flower Flora and Fauna Rosé – this Mendocino operation makes this wine from Barbera. The nose is a bit muted and heavier than the preceding wines with some cantaloupe and herbal citrus notes and the fruit is a bit reticent. A different style and suffered in this company because of that.

2017 Domaine de L’Amauve Le Rosé d'Yvonne – run by Rhone winemaker (previously at Mont-Redon and la Nerthe) in the small picturesque village of Seguret (we vacationed a few years ago in the also small town of Sablet, which looks across the valley at Seguret). The wine is made from Grenache noir and syrah and was a pale pink with medium weight and clean finish. Good.

2016 Mathilde Chapoutier Côtes de Provence Grand Ferrage – some good spicy grapefruit and strawberry fruit in this wine and a good level of terminal acidity. Good. Same blend as the L’Oratoire. The Rolle grape is, by the way, more commonly known as Vermentino.

2016 Le Vieux Pin Vaila – a pinot noir rosé from British Columbia made from pinot noir. Good nose and flavour but could have used a slight bit more residual sugar to blunt the somewhat obtrusive acidity at the end.

2016 Kettle Valley Pinot Gris (BC) – some wineries leave the press wine on the dark skins of this grape long enough to take on significant pink colour – this is one such winery. Dark pink, some nice spice in the nose and lots of stuffing, ending smooth and long. Always a favourite with us.

2014 Poplar Grove Winery Blanc de Noirs Okanagan Valley Rosé Blend - nice initial fruit,and good stuffing in this one, with graceful finish. Merlot and Malbec.

2016 Pursued by the Bear Winery Blushing Bear – this rosé made from Grenache, cinsault and mourvedre in the Columbia Valley. It was pale in colour, had some decent berry fruit and was pleasant on palate. They state that they attempted to emulate the Bandol style. If so, they failed in the attempt, IMHO.

2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard – this Contra Costa red wine came out after the pinks were finished. Big sweet vanilla nose, very concentrated fruit and sweet long finish. Will appeal to new world wine fans (not so much to me).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Think and Drink Pink

by Jenise » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 pm

Bill, thanks for hosting!

Here are my notes. Btw, I'm including two wines not covered in your notes, the Colin Morey and the Poplar Grove.

NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Cuvée Rubis Champagne Blend
Disgorged 2009. Had to shut my eyes and sip again to see if, blind, I would guess it was pink. I think so, there's just this bit of extract in the toastiness. Drinks beautifully.

2017 Domaine de Triennes Rosé Mediterranée Rosé Blend
Loved this. Palest rose of the day, the barely yellow-pink of some pearls. Crisp with dust, red apple skin and watermelon. I scooted across town the next morning to buy (what could be) the last two bottles in Vancouver.

2016 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé Mourvedre Blend, Mourvedre
Deliberately aged a year in my cellar. Fruitier/less austere than I expected. Nose and palate showed cantaloupe and roses with an interesting hit of Douglas Fir on the finish. It did open up more--next bottle, decant!

2017 Proprieta Sperino Lessona Rosa del Rosa
Orange hue. Assertive acidity seemed to curb the bergamot and tea notes but the whole nebbiolo thing didn't come across. Would probably show better a day later.

2017 Gérard Bertrand Cote des Roses Languedoc Rosé Blend
Very pale. Velveteen on the palate with just a touch of RS. I might be overly influenced by the pretty bottle, but the whole package seems to target women.

2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Rosé de Pinot-Noir Bourgogne Pinot Noir
Light peach, cherry and spice with a little tangerine peel. Superb. Another highlight of the day.

2016 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel La Dame Rousse Red Rhone Blend
Maybe it was the sweetness of the company I was keeping, but this bottle lacked the nervy herbaceousness and sherry notes of the last bottle five months ago. Good, just tamer than wanted/expected.

2017 Speerhead Pinot Noir Rose, Okanagan Valley
Medium coral pink with some true pinot character of cherries and tomato skin, but a touch too sweet.

2016 Domaine Saint Andrieu Côtes de Provence L'oratoire Rosé Rosé Blend
Apparently owned by the Chateau Talbot people. Bracingly bone dry with lots of minerality. Excellent.

2016 Iris Vineyards Pinot Noir Chalice Estate Willamette Valley
Deep color; too much RS. Liquid Red Vines red licorice.

2016 Idlewild The Flower North Coast Rosé Blend
Bill I liked this one better than you did. Intriguingly dry with a pleasant, amaro-like bitterness on the finish along with notes of tarragon. Wish I owned some.

2016 Mathilde Chapoutier Côtes de Provence Grand Ferrage Red Rhone Blend
Pink Grapefruit, tomato skin and strawberries, superb acidity. Another favorite of the day for me.

2017 Domaine de l'Amauve Vaucluse Le Rosé D'Yvonne Grenache
Excellent! Floral nose, excellent and precise fruit, and lovely old world balance. One of the day's best.

2016 Le Vieux Pin Pinot Noir Rosé Vaïla Okanagan Valley
22 hours on the skins, this one. More extracted on the palate than I'd have expected from LVP, too, enough to unfortunately mute the ethereal nose and delicacy I look forward to about pinot roses (like Navarro and Eyrie, for instance). Not a fan.

2014 Poplar Grove Winery Blanc de Noirs Okanagan Valley Rosé Blend
Delightful. Light cherry fruit with a little pie crust. Deceptively full-bodied but elegant and not heavy on the palate.

2016 Kettle Valley Pinot Gris Okanagan Valley
Deep, coppery color--rusty pinkish orange, and the wine drinks drier than I expected based on the color. Pretty interesting, actually, but more academic than something I see myself reaching for. It just didn't come across to me as refreshing.

2017 Dunham/MacLachlan Blushing Bear Walla Walla Valley Rosé Blend
Interesting because of the star connection but otherwise just a very decent WA pink.

2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Evangelho Vineyard Contra Costa County Red Blend
Saturated red fruit flavors that failed to convey the spicy-zinny thing I expected based on the '12, and a bit more grip would have been appreciated. Would drink, not hold.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Jenise wrote: Btw, I'm including two wines not covered in your notes, the Colin Morey and the Poplar Grove.

Had the notes but somehow missed including them. Went back and added them.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 am

That's a lot of rose. Bravo for staying focused and analytical. (I guess)