The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White & Red for Dinner...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A White & Red for Dinner...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 am

Tried these two last night w/ dinner:
1. Reustle/PrayerRockVnyds Semillon KaremBlock/PRV/UmpquaVlly/OR (EG; www.ReustleVineyards.com; 12.6%; 57 cs;
50% SS/Acacia frmtd; Drk: 2014-2016) 2013
: Med.light gold color; tiny bubbles that dissapate; fairly strong classic Semillon/figgy/green olive very light pencilly/oak slight cardamon rather pleasant/attractive nose; slightly tart light figgy/Semillon/green olive/orangey very light pencilly/oak slight earthy/chalky bit tangy/metallic pleasant flavor; fairly long classic Semillon/figgy/green olive bit pencilly/oak slight chalky finish; a wine that speaks quietly of Semillon w/o the herbaceous character it often shows; not the structure of many Semillons and not a keeper; no presence of dissolved CO2 on the palate. $14.40 (vSK)
2. Novy Syrah NapaVlly (15.7%; www.NovyFamilyWines.com) 2002: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; very strong spicy/blackberry/boysenberry/ripe Syrah some hot/alcoholic strong Siduri oak/smokey fairly complex nose; rather soft/rich/lush some hot/alcoholic very strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/ripe some smokey/Siduri oak bit complex flavor w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; very long/lingering somewhat hot/fumey/alcoholic strong ripe Syrah/blackberry/boysenberry/lightly spicy strong smokey/Siduri oak bit complex finish w/ light ripe/drying tannins; a pretty classic mature Siduri Syrah maybe a bit beyond its peak bit still quite lovely drinking. $14.00
1. Reustle: This is a wnry in the UmpquahVlly of OR that I was introduced to be a friend. I'm drinking thru the last of my stash. They're good solid/interesting wines but nothing compelling. The Syrah & Tempranillo left to go.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A White & Red for Dinner...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 am

I visited the Umpqua Valley in 2000. Went to one, now forgotten, winery.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I visited the Umpqua Valley in 2000. Went to one, now forgotten, winery.

Yup, David...Both the Umpqua and (to the South) Rogue vllys have a lot of wineries w/ names I don't recognize.
It's an area I'd like to explore more. Hotter than the Willamette Vlly, they seemed to be
excited by Spanish & Rhone varieties.
Tom