The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pig, crab, bubbles and Burgs at Wu's Wonton King

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Pig, crab, bubbles and Burgs at Wu's Wonton King

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 pm

A nice group met at Wu’s Wonton King at edge of Chinatown last night. Steamy day, but AC worked well. We had preordered king crab and a half pig. Lots of lovely food:
Our 11.5 lb crab was served 3 ways- half the legs steamed with garlic, other half fried, then fried rice in the carapace
The roasted pig was served like P-duck- in pancakes with hoisin, then rest of carcass brought out
Cold jellyfish
Squid with anchovies
Pea shoots
Veal chops (only dish I’d skip next times)
For dessert eaters mango gelatin and red bean soup
I think my 5th time there, still haven’t tried a wonton (there will come a day).

The wines

MV Krug
This was a 2015 disgorgement of a 2007 base. Nice nose, good acid, everyone elseloved, but I can appreciate but not love Krug. B/B+

2010 Agrapart Mineral Blanc de Blancs Champagne Extra Brut

I preferred this, perfect on a hot day. Apple and pit fruits with lots of chalk and citrus zest, killer crisp. Like a serious PC Chablis with bubbles. B+/A-

2010 Raveneau “Butteaux” Chablis 1er Cru
Maybe this was just shutdown, but I thought it needed more cut and oomph. Perfectly acceptable PC Chablis, but at current Raveneau prices you need more. To be fair, I gave it a B when making notes, but enjoyed more a later pour that seemed more giving and bright.

1992 Sauzet “Combettes” Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
A reminder of why we (used to) age white Burgundy. Apple and some rather exotic tropical fruit, yet with snappy acids. There’s just a hint of incipient oxidation, and it did fade at end of bottle, so I wouldn’t hold much longer, but this bottle was a pointe for most of bottle. A-/B+

2011 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
Delicious bottle of BdM. Full.pear with a touch of hazelnut, floral/blossom notes. Good length. Too bad I don’t dare age these anymore B+/A-

1999 Jean Boillot “Clos du Roi” Beaune 1er Cru
New Boillot to me. Raspberry and cherry, a little dirt, ok but not compelling. B/B-

2001 de Courcel “les Rugiens” Pommard 1er Cru

This showed refined/elegant for de Courcel, but think that was a function of being next to the rustic Gaunoux. Black cherry and cocoa, a bit of tannin yet rather lush on palate. Some others liked slightly more. B+/B

2001 M. Gaunoux Les Grands Épenots Pommard 1er Cru

Acid and tannin, lots of earth notes, red cherries and beets. A tad tough at moment. B

1999 M. Gaunoux Les Grands Épenots Pommard 1er Cru

My red of the night. Red and black cherry, orange zest, smoke. Tannins in background, acids in balance. Young but quite drinkable. B+/A-

Fun night, great food, great group.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pig, crab, bubbles and Burgs at Wu's Wonton King

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 pm

A B Raveneau is indeed a huge disappointment. The wines cost too much to ever rate below A-.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Raveneau prices are some of the most egregiously marked up post cellar door. I took a look recently and could not believe it!

From my limited experience they are also prone to austerity, which probably makes it difficult for them to always show well and justify the price tag.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 am

I think there are very few 'magical' producers who can produce much better wines from a given terroir once the competition is as conscientious and sensitive as they are. And I don't think Chablis lacks for conscientious and sensitive producers. There may or may not be magic about Raveneau, I don't know because I can't get an allocation and probably couldn't afford it, but my guess the competition caught up about a decade ago.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com