The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another 25 or so Pink Wines of amazing diversity

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Another 25 or so Pink Wines of amazing diversity

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 am

The Dorks got together, corks flew. All wines served blind.

2017 Ameztoi Getariako Txakolina Rubentis Rosé Blend
Very fresh and enthusiastic with dust and roses on the palate.

NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne Extra Brut Grains de Celles Rose Champagne Blend
Eyes closed, tastes more white than rose. But yeasty and very pleasant with good body.

2017 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir Rosé Willamette Valley
Dark pink with strawberries and thyme, as the previous reviewer reported with enough extract to drinks like a light Oregon pinot noir.

2017 Rulo Rosé Walla Walla Valley Rosé Blend
Musky-funky nose yet pretty, made from syrah and grenache from vineyards in The Rocks. Excellent body and balance.

2016 Skouras Zoë! Peloponnisos Agiorgitiko
Classic rose, light and bright with a twin personality we related to Olivia Newton John's character in Grease--starts out sweet/innocent then turns sexy/sassy. Could drink this all day.

2015 Radikon Slatnik Venezia Giulia IGT Chardonnay Blend, Chardonnay
Bronze-rose color. Initially dilute and nondescript but quickly opened up to reveal something hypnotic and difficult to describe except: I want to buy some.

2017 Château d'Esclans Whispering Angel Côtes de Provence Rosé Blend
Spicy nose with rhubarb and fennel. Very, very good rose that outperforms its rather affected name (never bought it myself, the name scares me away).

2017 Sonder Wines Cinsault Rosé Columbia Valley
100% cinsault, and it shows. Classy package of fruit and balance from a winery I've never heard of before.

2016 Tranche Cellars (Corliss) Pink Pape Blackrock Vineyard Yakima Valley Rosé Blend
My wine. Everybody believed it old world, and upon learning they were wrong WA state was about the last place they thought it might be due to being almost colorless and dry with talc, vitamin B, creamy orchard fruit and a resonant, long finish. Outstanding. I bought six last year and purposefully held them over after tasting the first bottle, and that was a great decision.

2016 La Bastide Blanche Bandol Rosé Rosé Blend
Hot and bitter rainier cherry flavors. Tasted like a bad negroni. This and the following wine are the only two wines of the night I didn't like.

2017 Haden Fig Pinot Gris Rosé Willamette Valley
More RS than I find reasonable with a cloying finish. I've only got a tiny tasting pour, but I'd never be able to finish a glass.

2016 Gilbert Cellars Rosé Wahluke Slope Mourvedre Blend
Medium true pink color, but in flavor/sweetness/etc a bit too-too, about 110% of what I would ideally want.

2016 Clos Cibonne Tibouren Côtes de Provence Rosé Cru Classé
Not pale per se, but only med pink and as such paler and somewhat wan compared to the first reddish Tibouren I had a few vintages back, and I miss that richer, more saturated flavor. Good, mind you, just not worth $30 for me now.

2017 Domain Dyckerhoff Reuilly Petit Gris Pinot Gris
Lively on first pour with emerging elegance in the glass. Quite nice.

2016 Vinyes Singulars Penedès Sumoll Rosa Amphora
WOTN for me. Orange in color with off-the-charts complexity in citrus notes and Constant Comment tea. Killer acidity and a long, long finish. Like nothing I've ever had.

2016 Domaine de la Mordorée Tavel La Dame Rousse Red Rhone Blend
Mine. More focussed than last Saturday's bottle (so glad, as I have 3 more), with more herbal notes of tarragon and spearmint along with cinnamon and spiced cherries. Excellent.

2017 Château de Peyrassol Côtes de Provence Rosé Rosé Blend
Effusive nose, lots of body with fennel and almond notes. Very Provencal.

2017 Rocca di Montegrossi Rosato Toscana IGT Sangiovese Blend, Sangiovese
Funky nose, but good body and rich flavor.

2017 Teutonic Wine Company Pinot Noir Rosé Laurel Vineyard Chehalem Mountains Oregon
Cheesy nose at first, but develops precise, cut cherry fruit and spectacular acidity, so much so that we guessed Austrian. I think Barnaby will take that--lots of love!

2017 Bodegas Juan Gil Jumilla Rosé Wine Tempranillo Blend
Pretty light pink with fairly full body and more class than I'd have expected. At the tasting this was described as monastrell, but CT says it's tempranillo. I'd bank on the former.

2017 Domaine de Triennes Rosé Mediterranée Rosé Blend
Second bottle in three days. Recognized the red apple flavor from Saturday but this time noted a refreshing seashell thing. Terrific.

2017 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Rosé Russian River Valley
Served blind, showed a very pretty and classic pinot-rose nose with lots of class. OFS.

2016 Savage Grace Wines Gewürztraminer Orange Oak Ridge Vineyard Columbia Gorge
Not a gewurz fan (before reveal, I wrote down "nursing home, old lady perfume"), but the gewurz fans present emitted oohs and ahs of appreciation for this one. A clever bring for a rose tasting.

2011 Quinta do Piloto Vinho Regional Península de Setúbal Superior Moscatel Roxo
My other WOTN. From Doran, who hand-carried this back from a recent holiday. WOW. Only made in good vintages, this intense, mesmerizing dessert style showstopper offers hazelnut, caramel, meyer lemon, apricot and prunes with superb concentration and luminous acidity. One of the best dessert wines in memory.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

Re: WTN: Another 25 or so Pink Wines of amazing diversity

by kasey.dubler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 am

I laughed when I read about how you feel about Gewürztraminer because I'm with you 100%! I know people that love it, but I can't stand it. Just so overpowering. I love Alsatian whites so much, the "Gentil" and "Edelzwicker" blends are often great values, but if one of the blends has more than about 10% Gewürztraminer I can't take it! I have a few 15-20 year old Grand Cru Gewürztraminer from Alsace I'm planning to drink soon to see if I like them more with age, but I doubt it...

Thank you for the notes, it sounds like a fun tasting I'll have set up a similar one out here
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

kasey.dubler wrote:I laughed when I read about how you feel about Gewürztraminer because I'm with you 100%! I know people that love it, but I can't stand it. Just so overpowering. I love Alsatian whites so much, the "Gentil" and "Edelzwicker" blends are often great values, but if one of the blends has more than about 10% Gewürztraminer I can't take it! I have a few 15-20 year old Grand Cru Gewürztraminer from Alsace I'm planning to drink soon to see if I like them more with age, but I doubt it...

Thank you for the notes, it sounds like a fun tasting I'll have set up a similar one out here

It was great fun. This was at Tim Johnson's house--he's the wine manager at the Cordata Food Coop, I'm sure you met him. And there were 18 of us altogether, a record.

Btw, thought of you when I tasted the Rulo and wanted to let you know that I called the winery yesterday (ostensibly to determine the source region of their fruit) and talked to Vickie--she and her husband are the original owners and they're doing quite well! The brand did not sell as I'd thought--instead, their wines are so solid and have become widely appreciated for their value. They're making a good go of it.

And thank God someone else feels as I do about gewurztraminer!!! You'll probably find your Alsatians are more tolerable than young new world versions, but the added richness can be suffocating.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Poorly made or oddly perfumed gewurz, like Muscats can be horrid, but I don't condemn those grapes out of hand. I love Southern French dry muscats and I have some Zind Herrenweg and Albert Mann Furstentum Gewurz that will knock your socks off.